Jointly bestowed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), the Trailblazer Award & Lectureship recognizes exceptional leaders who have advanced the science at the nexus of nutrition/dietetics and food science for at least five years. This award is conferred upon a leader, preferably a joint member of the Academy and IFT, who has demonstrated innovative contributions to improve health among underserved populations through a least one aspect of food science and technology, and has exhibited intellectual courage in research, instruction and/or communication at this intersection.
- Member of the Academy or IFT.
- Has at least five years of experience since receiving his/her last academic degree.
- Has demonstrated and documented impact of contributions at the food science and nutrition nexus.
- Has demonstrated and documented inspirational leadership among colleagues and collaborators.
- The Trailblazer Award recipient will receive $2,500 and plaque.
- The Trailblazer Award recipient will provide a presentation not to exceed 45 minutes in length at the respective organization's annual meeting.
- The Trailblazer Award will be presented on an annual basis, alternating between Academy and IFT annual meetings. The next award will be presented at the Academy's annual meeting.
- Demonstrate and document impact of contributions at the food science and nutrition nexus. (45 points total)
- Visible champion of interface and benefit of respective disciplines. (20 points)
- Moves the understanding of each discipline forward. (15 points)
- Joint activities with members of both societies. (10 points)
- Demonstrate and document inspirational leadership among colleagues and collaborators. (45 points total)
- Promotion of collaborative efforts between food scientists and RDNs (e.g. committees, research, papers, media interviews). (15 points)
- Leadership among food science and nutrition colleagues. (10 points)
- Role model to food science: nutrition professions. (10 points)
- Dedication to high standards of the professions. (10 points)
- Letter of support that addresses candidate's qualifications. (10 points)
To submit a nomination, email nomination documents to email@example.com. Deadline is March 1, 2021.
A complete nomination consists of:
- Completed Trailblazer Nomination Form
- Nomination Statement explaining how the nominee meets the award qualifications (not to exceed 4 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) summary including educational background (not to exceed 10 pages)
- One (1) substantive letter of recommendation
Nomination Statement Requirements: not to exceed 4 typed pages. Include educational background, professional affiliations, honors and appointments of nominee. List offices held and dates; committees served on and dates, and other Academy/IFT activities. Explain why this individual should receive this award (refer to the "Qualifications" and "Scoring Criteria" above).