Research shows that early nutrition intervention of a patient with malnutrition can decrease length of stay, falls, pressure ulcers, infections, complications, re-admissions and overall health care costs. Registered dietitian nutritionists can perform a nutrition focused physical exam to more accurately provide individuals with a nutrition diagnosis of malnutrition. While the nutrition focused physical exam is only one component of the nutrition assessment, it can provide necessary supportive data to identify and nutrition diagnose the patient with, or at risk for, malnutrition.
The workshop provides the RDN with skills to perform a nutrition focused physical exam, empowering the RDN to accurately identify and provide a nutrition diagnosis of malnutrition for patients. Workshops are available across the country with the focus on the adult or pediatric population.
Adult Population: Live Virtual NFPE Hands-on Training Workshop (2 half days)
Virtual workshops will take place using Zoom.
Day 1: Wednesday, June 28, 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Eastern time)
Day 2: Thursday, June 29, 11 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern time)
For more information about any of the above NFPE Hands-On Training Workshops please email or call 312/899-4707.
- Discussions on malnutrition characteristics and documentation
- An interactive, hands-on experience to obtain NFPE skills:
- Assessment for muscle wasting and fat loss
- Assessment for micronutrient deficiencies/toxicities
- Assessment for fluid accumulation/edema
- Assessment for functional status/hand grip strength
- For Pediatrics – Assessment for mid-upper arm circumference
- In-depth discussions on Coding for Malnutrition
- Case Study to review NFPE/Malnutrition components
- Putting it all together from head to toe
- Demonstrate basic NFPE skills
- Each RDN participant will receive the NFPE Pocket Guide, medical penlight, NFPE Skills Assessment form, presentation handout, 10 CPEU certificate, and post-workshop support.
- Attendees will receive training with real-time feedback in both a small group setting (6 participants to 1 Academy NFPE trainer), as well as a one-on-one NFPE skills assessment with an NFPE Trainer following the workshop.
- The Live, Virtual NFPE Hands-on Training Workshop will be conducted on the Zoom platform and include the presentation, demonstrations, breakout sessions and more.
Early registration discount (see date on registration page)
Academy members: $400.00
Academy members: $475.00
Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Articles
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!