The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion Promotion Award recognizes a member who has demonstrated excellence in innovation, creativity, and leadership in the promotion of diversity and inclusion. The recipient has exhibited exceptional performance in diversity and inclusion promotion as a change agent and thought leader, made significant contributions to the achievement of diversity and inclusion, and held inspiring leadership roles in nutrition and other health related organizations.
- A member of the Academy for a minimum of 5 years.
- Has demonstrated excellence in innovation, creativity and leadership in the promotion of diversity and inclusion.
- Has exhibited exceptional performance in diversity and inclusion promotion as a change agent and thought leader.
- Has made significant contributions to the achievement of diversity and inclusion.
- Has held inspiring leadership roles in nutrition and other health-related organizations.
- Exceptional performance in diversity (50 points total)
- Plays a leading role in the profession of food, nutrition and dietetics as a change agent, adapting food, nutrition and dietetics environments and/or enhancing awareness of the need to promote diversity and cultural competence (10 points)
- Serves as a thought leader and recognized advocate for diversity and cultural competence. (10 points)
- Sets strategic direction, advances strategies, implements actions and demonstrates outcomes to ensure that goals related to diversity in the nutrition and dietetics profession are achieved (10 points)
- Teaches, educates and motivates students, professionals and/or the public on diversity and/or has been a mentor to nutrition and dietetics practitioners of diverse backgrounds (10 points)
- Plays a leading role in advancing diversity and cultural competence efforts outside the work setting and outside the Academy, i.e. outside the national, affiliate, district and organizational unit arena. (10 points)
- Contributions to the achievement of diversity. (30 points total)
- Publications and authored manuals, books and/or documents that assist the nutrition and dietetics practitioner, student or the public in diversity (10 points)
- Presentations on diversity given at an advanced level, materials/information are presented in an innovative and creative method (consideration should be given to the audience and/or whether the nominee is the featured speaker and/or invited presenter). (10 points)
- Promotion of the registered dietitian nutritionist; nutrition and dietetics technician, registered; and food and nutrition. (10 points)
- Media topics are offered in a user-friendly manner and promote diversity in a positive way, and have successfully reached a targeted audience. (10 points)
- Leadership achievements in nutrition and other health focused organizations. (20 points total)
- District (local), state and national Academy or affiliate offices held should demonstrate the nominee's dedication to the promotion of diversity in practice OR non-Academy elected or appointed offices held should show the nominee's advancement of diversity in nutrition and dietetics practitioners and promotion of diversity in nutrition, dietetics and foodservice. (10 points)
- Honors and awards for professional achievements listed support the nominee's high level of professionalism and contribution to diversity. (10 points)