Student members are integral to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics as they represent the future of the dietetics profession. We offer several unique benefits to close to 20,000 student members, including opportunities to get involved. Student membership in the Academy means you have access to a network of benefits — exclusively available to Academy members — that you can begin using right now!
- eatrightCareers: Accelerate your career search by posting your resume, viewing openings and receiving job alerts.
- Education and Internship Matching Information: Find information for students seeking a career in nutrition and dietetics, as well as students who are currently enrolled in nutrition and dietetics program through the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics.
- eMentoring: Academy student members are supported by a wide range of career guidance programs, including the Academy’s eMentoring program. Students can search for one using a variety of parameters such as years of experience, practice area, languages spoken and even types of mentoring. To access the mentor/mentee profile, you will have to register first; your Academy User Name and password will not automatically provide you with access to the site.
- Student Community: Exclusively for Student members of the Academy, this is the place to find Academy opportunities, resources and updates posted via Discussion Posts, Announcements, Events Calendar, and Library documents, some of which will be delivered directly into your email inbox. This community is your one-stop-shop for asking questions and holding discussions with fellow students from all over the world.
- Research Project Resources: Designing a research project is a careful process that involves many steps. The Academy and the Nutrition Research Network offer many resources to help members through each stage of the process, from development of the research question through reporting and disseminating results. Students are also able to get access to a member list to conduct research.
- Student Scoop: An e-newsletter exclusively for you. It's published monthly and includes articles on relevant topics such as preparing for internships and ways to volunteer.
- Student Liaison: As a liaison participate in recruitment and retention of student members and will communicate with the Academy on important topics.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Opportunities are available to get involved at all levels of the organization — leadership positions, advocating for the profession or getting involved with your affiliate.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, through its dietetic practice groups and member interest groups, state affiliates and the Academy Foundation, offer a variety of scholarships and educational stipends to individuals pursuing undergraduate and advanced degrees in dietetics or food and nutrition related areas.
The Foundation proudly serves as the largest provider of dietetic scholarships to students at all levels of study. Foundation scholarships, including scholarship funds established by many affiliate (state) dietetic associations and dietetic practice groups, are available to encourage eligible students and members to enroll in dietetics programs. Most Academy Foundation scholarships require Academy membership to apply; some may also require specific dietetic practice group membership or affiliate membership.
While all students are eligible for most Academy Foundation scholarships, some are specifically for dietetics students who are members of underrepresented groups.
One application form is used to apply for all Academy Foundation scholarships. The number of scholarships available and their respective dollar amounts vary from year to year based on fundraising efforts and investment activity. Scholarships range in value from $500 to $25,000. The majority of the scholarships awarded are for $1,000.
Scholarships Offered by Other Academy Groups
Scholarships from the dietetic practice groups and the affiliate and district dietetic associations generally require membership in that group or residence in its area. Individuals interested in scholarships offered by the DPGs and affiliate or district dietetic associations should contact these groups directly for more information.
International Financial Assistance and Resources Directory
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation has released the third edition of the Academy Foundation Directory of Resources for International Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics Professionals. This publication was made possible through the Wimpfheimer-Guggenheim Fund for International Exchange in Nutrition, Dietetics and Management. The 90-page directory is a reference for U.S. and international students and professionals who are seeking funding for professional study, work experience or research in their home country or abroad. The publication lists more than 100 groups offering financial assistance and features education organizations, loan programs, literature and Internet resources.
Other Sources of Financial Aid
Financial assistance is essential for many students enrolled in dietetics education programs. Information about student aid should be sought from the financial aid office or administrator at individual institutions. Additional sources include the state higher education agency and local civic, professional and community organizations or foundations. Detailed information about federal grants and loans administered by the United States Department of Education is available on its federal student aid website.
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!