- Update on the Pearson VUE ACEND® Summary of Candidate Testing Report
- Guidance Information Documents – Updated
- Future Education Model Accreditation Standards Revisions
- Call for Cohort 4 Applications for Demonstration Programs under the Future Education Model Accreditation Standards
- Rayane AbuSabha, PhD, RD Named New ACEND® Executive Director
- Revisions to ACEND®'s Program Closure Policy and Teach-out Plan Requirements
- Revisions to the Guidelines for Requesting Substantive Changes
- Annual Accreditation Fee due March 1, 2019
Update on the Pearson VUE ACEND® Summary of Candidate Testing Report
ACEND® worked with the Commission on Dietetic Registration and Pearson VUE to make a change to the ACEND® Summary of Candidate Testing Report. Many program directors have voiced concern that the data in the section for "Testers within one year of First Attempt" is incomplete for the most recent year as those students had not yet completed their one year time frame before the report was issued.
The three-year pass rate summary reports distributed in February 2019 will be changed so that the data in the "Testers within one year of First Attempt" section will be based on the year in which the candidate's one year time frame ends. Data in the current report included data in the "one year from first attempt" that was based on the year the candidate first took the exam. In the new report, data for 2017, for example, will include all candidates who took the exam for the first time in 2016 and their "one year from first attempt" ended in 2017. This will allow for the report to always have complete data. The results of candidates who take the exam for the first time in 2016 would be recorded in the year 2016 in the "first attempt" table; the results for those same candidates for "one year from first attempt" would be recorded in the year 2017 as that is the year that their one year time period from first attempt ended.
The new report will contain two tables, which will be similar to those shown below. One will include the information on exam results for the tester's first attempt within a specified year and a second table will include exam results for the tester's pass rate within one year of first attempt. Both tables will contain the institution’s results and the national results.
The data are for the same program in both tables. The group of candidates (n=18) who took the exam for the first time in 2015 would have their "one year from first attempt" end in 2016 so they are the same 18 shown for the year 2016 in the second table.
Guidance Information Documents – Updated
ACEND® has recently updated the Guidance Information Document for 2017 Accreditation Standards and the Guidance Information Document for Future Education Model Accreditations Standards. These documents contain information to help program directors interpret the standards and clarify expectations for the completion of self-study documents.
Future Education Model Accreditation Standards Revisions
The ACEND® Board approved the following revisions to the Future Education Model Accreditation Standards for Associate (FA), Bachelor's (FB) and Graduate (FG) Degree Programs during the January 23-25, 2019 meeting:
- Removed the requirement for tracks in RE 1.2, 1.5, 3.2, 4.1, 5.2, 8.3 and 9.1. Programs can continue to have tracks but ACEND® will not require them.
- Added requirement for the issuance of a verification statement to FA Standard 1, RE 1.3.
- Combined and reworded Standard 2, RE 2.3 and 2.4 (program-specific and ACEND-required objectives) to make them more consistent with the 2017 Accreditation Standards. The changes include the expectation that data on all ACEND®-required objectives be evaluated annually using an average of data from the previous three years and that the specified language is used in the objectives.
- Revised Standard 4, RE 4.1 to clarify expectations for the curriculum map.
- Revised Standard 5, RE 5.1 to clarify expectations for competency assessment.
- Made a few minor wording changes to competencies and performance indicators.
These changes will become effective on July 1, 2019 and demonstration programs accredited under the Future Education Model Accreditation Standards are expected to be compliant with these changes by July 1, 2019.
- View the changes tracked in the standards
Call for Cohort 4 Applications for Demonstration Programs under the Future Education Model Accreditation Standards
The ACEND® Board has issued the call for applications for those interested in being part of cohort 4 demonstration programs under the Future Education Model Accreditation Standards. Applications for cohort 4 are due December 2, 2019 at 11 a.m. (Central time).
- Application forms and a webinar detailing the application process
A workshop for those interested in learning more about the Future Education Model Accreditation Standards will be held in Chicago on August 15-16, 2019.
Revisions to ACEND®'s Program Closure Policy and Teach-out Plan Requirements
The ACEND® Board recently updated policy 4.3.B Substantive Program Changes, Program Closure. The policy now requires that programs planning to close include the summarized information below in the Teach-out Plan submitted to ACEND®. To view the complete requirements see Section 4.3, pages 66-67, of the ACEND® Policy and Procedure Manual:
- How prospective and enrolled student/interns will be informed of the program's closing and any implications of the closure.
- The program must make reasonable best efforts to ensure prospective and enrolled students/interns receive and acknowledge receipt of the information about the program's closure and its implications.
- How program stakeholders, including faculty, preceptors, academic advisors (including advisors of transfer students), affiliated community colleges and advisory board, as applicable are informed of the program's closure and its implications.
Additionally, the board will now require programs to submit an update at least annually on its closing plan discussing its resources and remaining students/interns progression through the program. The program's closing plan must be submitted on the Teach-Out Plan Template. The Template can be found on the ACEND® website here: Teach-Out Plan Template. Contact the manager assigned to your program if you have any questions about the requirements for closing an ACEND® accredited program.
Revisions to the Guidelines for Requesting Substantive Changes
The document, Guidelines for Requesting Substantive Changes, was updated in December 2018 to include changes applicable to all program types under the 2017 or FEM Accreditation Standards. Instructions for adding an Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway (ISPP) can now be found in the substantive change guidelines. Dietetic Internships that wish to add a pre-select option will find the guidance under"Changes to Program Options and Start Dates." The Substantive Program Change Guidelines, Substantive Program Change Cover Page, Program Director Change Template and Enrollment Increase Report can be found here.
Annual Accreditation Fee due March 1, 2019
In October, program directors received an email with a unique link to the ACEND® Quick Pay online system to access their January 1, 2019-December 31, 2019 annual fee invoice and either make an online payment or print the invoice and mail in a check for payment. The annual fee covers costs associated with accreditation activities, program support, communications, staffing and office expenses. The $2,025 fee will be due March 1, 2019. Payments received after the due date will incur a 10% late fee and the initiation of the Administrative Notification process. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive the email or have questions about the annual fee.