Preceptor Training Program
The Preceptor Training was revised and updated in August 2023. The Nutrition and Dietetics Preceptor Training Course provided by ACEND helps preceptors prepare for their role as mentors. The course covers a variety of topics including the foundation of student experiences to meet ACEND Accreditation Standards, role delineation, preparation for orientation and learning activities, navigating different learning styles among students, how to create a safe space for students to learn and practice, providing constructive and supportive feedback through good communication, among other important topics. Throughout the modules, you will find opportunities for reflection and self-assessment.
This complimentary training awards participants with 8 CPEUs and includes seven modules:
- Role as Preceptor
- Planning and Organizing Experiences
- All Students are Not the Same
- Assessing Student Learning
- Communicating Effectively
- Managing Time
- Keeping Current in Dietetics Education and Credentialing
Through these modules, several activities, self-assessments, tools and resources are included such as developing a goal-based learning plan, solving case-based scenarios and completing a communication checklist.
Objectives of the course include:
- Describe the characteristics of effective preceptors
- Identify three key responsibilities of students and three expectations preceptors should have of students
- Describe four methods to monitor and assess student development of the ACEND® competencies and learning outcomes
- Identify three sources of information for keeping current in dietetics education, credentialing and practice
From that page, you will "Enroll for Free" and set up your profile to begin the course.
For questions about the Preceptor Training, contact ACEND.
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!