The RESTORE Study is a multi-site longitudinal study designed to examine nutrition care practices that may influence the burden of disease in COVID-19 patients admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU). The goal of the RESTORE study is to assist in the development of a pragmatic protocol of nutrition care practices for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and other health professionals to utilize when caring for critically ill patients with COVID-19. The Academy Data Science Center (DSC) is collaborating with investigators at George Mason University (GMU) and Indiana University. This project is being conducted with support from the Academy Foundation and funding from Nestle Health Sciences.
Note: Dimensions listed below are in pixels. Click on the links to view and save the full-size image.
Who Can Participate and What Does This Involve?
Dietitians currently providing support to COVID-19 patients in the ICU are being recruited for this study.
- Credentialled Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) working in hospital ICUs in the U.S.
- Currently providing nutrition care patients diagnosed with COVID-19 and admitted to the ICU.
Required tasks for study participation:
- Completion of onboarding and training modules.
- Providing your typical nutrition care to clients and then documenting care into the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Health Informatics Infrastructure (ANDHII, www.andhii.org). A time commitment of approximately 3- to 6- months of documentation, including 5 hours for training completion and 1 hour once per week to enter patient data into ANDHII.
Patients who are eligible to enter into ANDHII:
- Adult (18+ years of age) patients that are diagnosed with COVID-19 and admitted to the ICU who have received nutrition care from you as the participating RDN
- At this critical time in the pandemic, you will be contributing to important research that could impact future dietitians and our care to patients. This study can help demonstrate the value of nutrition care to patients with COVID-19 in the ICU and help us understand the types of nutrition care provided to this population, the nutrition outcomes associated with COVID-19 patients, and the level of nutrition care necessary to improve these patient outcomes. These results will be valuable for the future care of patients with COVID-19. As dietitians, we know our care is important and impactful. Having more concrete evidence will help us gain the recognition we deserve! Be a part of research and help lead the way for our future.
- If you enter a baseline and at least one follow-up visit for ≥10 ICU patients, you will receive a $50 Amazon gift card from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- You will receive CPEU credits (a potential of 2.5 credits) for completing trainings prior to starting data collection.
- You will gain experience in registry research, learn about or receive a refresh on the Nutrition Care Process and its terminology, and acquire knowledge on use of ANDHII, a data collection tool used to propel outcomes research.
How Do I Participate?
Please contact email@example.com to inquire about next steps to participate. This includes:
- Site Agreement execution
- Local Institutional Review Board (IRB) process, if applicable
- Completion of trainings