How to Apply for the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award
The purpose of the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award is to recognize the teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of faculty in ACEND®-accredited dietetics education programs. One educator can be selected from each of the five program types in each geographic region (a maximum of five awardees from each of the six geographic regions for a total of 30).
In addition to publishing the list of outstanding educators in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and NDEP-line, each awardee will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy President. Awards will be presented at the NDEP regional meetings for educators.
- Nominees must be a current member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and a current member of Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors Group
- Preceptors are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Preceptors.
- Active NDEP Council members are not eligible for this award.
- Previous ODEA winners cannot be nominated for the same program award again; however, they could be nominated for an award for a different program type, if applicable.
Criteria for Selection of Outstanding Educators
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Member of the Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors Group
- Educator and/or Program Director in an ACEND®-accredited dietetics education program:
- Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CP)
- Dietetic Internship (DI)
- Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)
- Dietetic Technician Program (DT)
- Future Education Model (FEM)
- Demonstrated Active Learning Strategy/ Student-centered Techniques
- Demonstrated Dietetics Mentoring Experience (Outside of role as faculty or director-not including current students/interns. Includes previous students/interns now considered professionals)
- Demonstrated leadership in Education and Dietetics; e.g., national, state, or district dietetic association activities, community service, honors received, scientific and professional presentations, publications, etc.
Selection Procedure and Submission Dates
- Nominations from peers and/or students are sent to NDEP annually in January. Each Regional Director will select no more than one educator for each type of dietetics education program (CP, DI, DPD, DT, FEM) in the region (maximum five).
- Each nomination application will be a single PDF that includes the ODEA Data Sheet, curriculum vitae (or resume), and three reference letters. Nominations must be sent electronically. Jpeg documents or individual documents will not be accepted. Additional materials beyond the requested materials (data sheet, CV, letters) will not be reviewed.
- The Regional Directors will form selection committees to review the nominations and select no more than one educator for each type of dietetic education program. This means there can be a maximum of five awardees per region for a total of 30 awardees a year. Previous ODEA winners may be asked to be a part of the selection committees.
- Regional Directors will request verification of Academy membership for each nominee with the Academy Staff Liaison. Non-members are not eligible for the award.
- For any questions about the selection procedure and submission process, please email NDEP.
- Award nominee applications will be retained for one year.
- Regional Directors will notify the respective state affiliate for each awardee. Affiliates may wish to recognize nominees from their states at state meetings.
- Recipients will be recognized at the NDEP annual meeting each spring. Awardees will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy president.
- The list of outstanding educator award recipients will be published in the spring issue of the NDEP-line and the September issue of the Journal.
- Recipients attending the Food and Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®) the following autumn may pick up an Outstanding Educator ribbon for their badge at the ribbon booth near registration.
For questions regarding this award, please email NDEP.
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!