Academy Celebrates Juneteenth
The Academy celebrates Juneteenth — a federal holiday honoring this day in 1865 when troops arrived in Galveston, Texas to ensure that all enslaved people were to be freed. Understanding and acknowledging the historical significance of Juneteenth demonstrates a commitment to cultural competency and inclusivity. By recognizing this important milestone in African American history, health professionals can better comprehend the intergenerational impact of slavery on health disparities and the unique healthcare needs of this population.
Moreover, acquiring knowledge about African American communities helps establish trust and rapport between health professionals and their patients. It shows a genuine commitment to understanding the experiences, values, and perspectives of African Americans, fostering an environment that encourages open communication and patient engagement. Ultimately, by embracing cultural competence and a comprehensive understanding of African American communities, health professionals can deliver equitable and effective care, promoting better health outcomes for all individuals.
Academy Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access
The Academy encourages inclusion, diversity, equity and access (IDEA) by striving to recognize, respect and include differences in ability, age, creed, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, size, and socioeconomic characteristics in the nutrition and dietetics profession. Note: While a comprehensive list of resources is presented, many of these resources are member benefits and member login is required to access full content.
Eat Well, Live Well, Be Well Toolkit
Providing print and media resources that can be used in faith-based health ministries on issues such as diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, eating on a budget and living with kidney disease, the Eat Well, Live Well, Be Well toolkit for Academy members comes from a strategic partnership between the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the National Baptist Convention USA (NBCUSA), to make use of their respective resources to pursue the goal of reducing health disparities for African Americans.
The Foundation proudly serves as the world's largest provider of nutrition and dietetics scholarships to students at all levels of study. This year, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation awards $860,250 in support to 309 deserving students. This included $555,200 in scholarships to 180 recipients of diverse backgrounds and cultures, representing 64.5% of total scholarship funding for the 2022-23 academic year.
Continuing Education Opportunities on eatrightSTORE.org
Discover a wealth of resources promoting cultural competency, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the field of nutrition through this comprehensive selection with an emphasis on African American communities.
- Beyond the World Foods Course: Diversifying Educational Spaces in Dietetics
- Black Dietitians Matter: Addressing Inequities and Exploring Strategies for Increasing Blacks in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Building Inclusive Leadership Skills to Advance Equity at Any Level
- Body Image and Cultural Compassion: Reimagining Nutrition Intervention
- Building Bridges, Overcoming Biases, Communicating Effectively
- Conscious Dietetics Practice: Assessing Dietetics (White) Privilege and Confronting Racism
- Cultural Competency for Nutrition Professionals
- Cultural Sensitivity: Moving Beyond Awareness to Provide Inclusive and Equitable Care
- Diabetes throughout the African Diaspora
- Exploring Programmatic and Policy-based Initiatives to Address Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Within the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program
- Food Travels: The Nutrition Transition In Africa and Implications for African Immigrant Health
- IDEA for Dietetics: Understanding Unconscious Bias, Cultural Competency and Cultural Humility
- Right Size for Me — Health Professional's Edition
- Leveraging Partnerships to Improve Nutrition Education Programs for Disadvantaged Communities
- Promoting Diversity in Dietetic Education Programs by Creating an Inclusive Environment
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!