Academy Opposes Proposed Cuts to Federal Nutrition Programs
May 19, 2023 – The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics urges the U.S. House of Representatives to reject proposals for funding cuts that would increase nutrition insecurity for families and millions of people across the country. The Academy is advocating for the passage of legislation that supports the health of the nation’s women, children, infants and older persons.
The Agriculture Appropriations bill released this week by the U.S. House would make harmful policy changes and deep funding cuts to two critical food assistance programs: the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Included in the House bill:
- Reduction of fruit and vegetable benefits for WIC participants by almost 62%, decreasing access to nutritious foods for nearly 5 million women and children. Further, the committee attempts to skirt science-based recommendations by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, for the WIC food package.
- Expansion of SNAP’s existing work-reporting requirement to include older adults aged 50 to 55, placing approximately 1 million older adults at risk of losing access to healthful food.
- Efforts to make school meals less nutritious by subverting standards that would bring meals closer to meeting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Proposed cuts to agriculture research and technical assistance for farmers and for development programs in rural areas.
- Rolling back efforts to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion in the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Academy members are encouraged to add their support to nutrition security efforts by joining the Nutrition Security Affinity Group. Each month, a diverse group of members joins together to learn more and discuss issues related to nutrition security in this member-only forum.
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!