Eligible petitioners are individuals who have met all of the following criteria in the current election year: submitted a complete Biographical Information Form that was considered by the Nominating Committee, fulfilled the qualifications of the office, and were not selected for the ballot. No more than one petitioner will be added to a ballot per election. The first individual who successfully collects the required number of validated signatures and meets the position qualifications will be included on the ballot.
The process for petitioners follows.
- Notify the Nominating Committee at email@example.com within five business days of the announcement of the slate to the membership of your intention to petition. The Nominating Committee will respond within three business days acknowledging your intention.
- For all national ballot positions, except the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), collect signatures from no fewer than 5% voting members of the Academy (approximately 3,500 signatures). Any duplicate name(s) will be counted once.
- For positions on the CDR ballot, collect signatures from no fewer than 5% of registered dietitian nutritionists and nutrition and dietetics technicians, registered (approximately 5,600 signatures). Any duplicate name(s) will be counted once.
- The petitioner will be governed by the same rules as the other candidates, including adherence to the Campaign Rules. Any violation of the campaign rules may result in disqualification from the ballot.
- The use of Academy membership or CDR registrant lists, Academy communication channels or Academy social media platforms for petitioning is prohibited. The only statement a petitioner may use when soliciting signatures follows.
- For an Academy position
I am seeking 5% of eligible Academy voters’ signatures for consideration as a Petition Candidate for the position of XXX on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics national ballot. If you support the placement of my name on the ballot, please fill in all required information on the petition attached/linked here.
This information must be completed and returned to me by XX time on XXXX date. This is an approved Academy Nominating Committee procedure and statement.
- For a CDR position
I am seeking 5% of credentialed practitioners' signatures for consideration as a Petition Candidate for the position of XXX on the Commission on Dietetic Registration national ballot. If you support the placement of my name on the ballot, please fill in all required information on the petition attached/linked here.
This information must be completed and returned to me by XX time on XXXX date. This is an approved Academy and CDR Nominating Committee procedure and statement.
- For an Academy position
- An electronic petition must be filed with the chair of the Nominating Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) in an Excel format. The petition form must include each supporter’s name, membership/ registration numbers and date.
- Upon receipt of the completed petition, the Academy (or CDR) will notify the petitioner of its acceptance within 5 business days.
- If successful, the petitioner will be identified as the “Petition Candidate” wherever displayed, such as on the list of candidates, the national ballot and the Academy's nominations and election website. The Petition Candidate’s name will be placed on the ballot following the slate selected candidates for that position. The definition of a "Petition Candidate" will be referenced on the ballot: In accordance with the Academy's established petition process, a Petition Candidate is one who has petitioned to be placed on the ballot by obtaining the required number of valid signatures from members.
The completed petition, with all required documentation, must be received no later than 30 calendar days after the slate is announced to the membership and will be valid only for the current election.
Send petitions and supporting documentation to:
Nominating Committee: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 S Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606