Eligible petitioners are members considered by the Nominating Committee and not selected for the ballot in 2022.
The process for petitioners follows.
- Notify the Nominating Committee at email@example.com within five business days of the announcement of the slate to the membership of your intention to petition. The Nominating Committee will respond within three business days days acknowledging your intention
- For all national ballot positions, except the Commission on Dietetic Registration, collect signatures from no fewer than 5% voting members of the Academy (approximately 3,500 signatures). Any duplicate name(s) will be counted once.
- For positions on the Commission on Dietetic Registration ballot, collect signatures from no fewer than 5% of registered dietitian nutritionists and nutrition and dietetics technicians, registered (approximately 5,000 signatures). Any duplicate name(s) will be counted once.
- The petitioner will be governed by the same rules as the other candidates, including adherence to the Campaign Rules. Any violation of the campaign rules will result in disqualification from the ballot.
- The use of Academy membership lists, communication channels or social media platforms for petitioning is prohibited. The only statement a petitioner may use when soliciting signatures follows … I am seeking signatures for consideration as a Petition Candidate for the position of XXX on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (or Commission on Dietetic Registration) national ballot. If you agree with the placement of my name of the ballot, please sign the petition (attached or linked).
- An electronic petition must be filed with the chair of the Nominating Committee firstname.lastname@example.org in an Excel format. The petition form must include each supporter's name, signature, membership and registration numbers and date.
- Upon receipt of the completed petition, the Academy (or CDR) will notify the petitioner of its acceptance within 10 business days.
- If successful, the petitioner will be identified as the “Petition Candidate” wherever displayed, such as on the list of candidates, the national ballot and the Academy's nominations and election website. The Petition Candidate's name will be placed on the ballot following the slate selected candidates for that position. The definition of a “Petition Candidate” will be referenced on the ballot: In accordance with the Academy's established petition process, a Petition Candidate is one who has petitioned to be placed on the ballot by obtaining the required number of valid signatures from members.
The petition must be received by December 30 or no more than 21 calendar days after the slate is announced to the membership, whichever comes later, and will be valid only for the 2022 election.
Send petitions and supporting documentation to:
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 S Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606