The following process is used to add a candidate to the ballot by petition:
- The Ballot Petition Process for Write-in Candidates is to be conducted only after the slate selected by the Nominating Committee is announced to the membership.
- The potential write-in candidate must have completed the nomination process by submitting her/his biographical information form and notifying the Nominating Committee at email@example.com with her/his intention to petition within five days of the announcement of the slate to the membership.
- Nominations for all national ballot positions except the Commission on Dietetic Registration may be made by nomination petitions signed by no less than 500 voting members of the Academy, of whom not more than 50 shall be from one affiliated dietetic association, dietetic practice group or member interest group, assented to in writing by the person(s) named thereon as a nominee(s). Any duplicate name will only be counted once.
- Nominations for members of the Commission on Dietetic Registration shall be made by nomination petitions signed by no less than 500 RDNs and NDTRs, of whom not more than 50 shall be from any one affiliated dietetic association, DPG or MIG, assented to in writing by the person or persons named thereon as nominee(s). Any duplicate name will only be counted once
- The person(s) named thereon as a nominee(s) must meet the qualifications for office established by the Nominating Committee. Feedback regarding qualifications for office should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Petitioning may occur on paper or online and must include the supporters' name, signature, registration number and state, DPG and MIG affiliations. The Committee will honor written and electronic signatures that are subject to confirmation by the Committee. Petitions shall be filed with the Nominating Committee Chair in an Excel file format. The biographical information form and nominee's picture must be included with the petition.
- If the person(s) named thereon as a nominee(s) is successful in petitioning, anywhere her/his name is displayed it will indicate "write-in candidate." The submitted biographical information form and photo will be posted on the Academy's nominations and elections website as a write-in candidate. No video will be provided for write-in president-elect candidates. If the write-in candidate wants a video, expenses must be incurred by the candidate and the video will be posted only to the candidate's personal website.
- Write-in candidates are governed by the same rules as the other candidates, including adherence to the campaign guidelines.
Email email@example.com for the Biographical Information Form and more information. Petitions must be received by November 30, 2016 or no more than 21 days after the slate is announced to the membership, whichever is later.
Send petitions and supporting documentation to:
120 S Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606