The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Diversity and Inclusion Mini-Grants provide $100 - $1,000 grants to support Academy affiliate, dietetic practice group and member interest group outreach to students and professionals from underrepresented groups within the nutrition and dietetics profession. Links to submit online applications will be sent directly to Diversity and Inclusion Liaisons. Please connect with your affiliate, DPG or MIG to inquire about becoming their Diversity and Inclusion Liaison.
The deadline to submit an online mini-grant application is March 1, 2020. Diversity and Inclusion Liaisons who apply will be notified to the status of their application in spring 2020.
Academy Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The Academy encourages diversity and inclusion by striving to recognize, respect and include differences in ability, age, creed, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, size, and socioeconomic characteristics in the nutrition and dietetics profession.
Overview of Diversity and Inclusion Mini-Grants Program
Diversity and Inclusion Liaisons are charged with promoting the nutrition and dietetics profession and Academy membership to students and professionals from underrepresented groups. Diversity and Inclusion Liaisons may apply for Diversity and Inclusion Mini-Grants to help fund diversity and inclusion outreach events, which could include:
- Collecting prospective member contact information at diversity and inclusion outreach events and submitting contact information to Academy Headquarters by:
- Reaching out to school-sponsored programs and introducing the profession to diverse high school or college students at a career fair or career panel.
- Creating a video, webinar, or brochure to recruit and retain diverse individuals into the profession by illustrating the benefits of a diverse nutrition workforce and the impact it can have in their communities.
- Conducting cultural competency events at the Academy Group level by:
- Developing a webinar that highlights a specific culture’s dietary practices and nutrition needs.
- Hosting a podcast that showcases the diverse dietitians within the MIG and allows them to share their knowledge.
- Holding a panel discussion with diverse practitioners on the challenges of serving underserved populations.
- Applicant is a Diversity and Inclusion Liaison for an Academy affiliate, DPG or MIG.
- Applicant is a member of the Academy holding any membership category except Student, International Student, Honorary and Associate. (Those with the following membership categories can apply to become a Diversity Liaison: Active, Retired, Returning Student and International.)
- Diversity and Inclusion Liaisons on file with the Academy are eligible to submit one application annually, on behalf of their Academy Groups, for a Diversity and Inclusion Mini-Grant to assist with diversity and inclusion outreach efforts, provided they have approval from the Academy Group's board or executive committee.
- Grant funds can be used for completed programs within the program year or upcoming programs.
- The link to submit nominations will be sent to Diversity and Inclusion Liaisons in November 2019.
- Deadline to apply for a Diversity and Inclusion Mini-Grant is March 1, 2020.
- By submitting an application, the Diversity and Inclusion Liaison agrees to complete a follow-up survey.
- Applicants will be notified of application status in spring 2020.
Application Consists of the Following
- Description of Program - Include goals, number of expected attendees and other specifics of the program.
- Target Group/Audience Description - Describe potential program audience, including potential attendees' ages and career levels.
- Budget Detail and Funding Sources - Include a detailed budget that includes the total amount requested between $100-$1000, and a breakdown of how the requested funds will be spent. Include an explanation of additional funding sources if applicable.
- Explanation of how event fits as a non-member recruitment diversity event or cultural competency diversity and inclusion outreach event.
Applications will be scored on a 100 point scale, which will be assessed using the application documents. Please reference the Score Sheet.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.