- Three positions serve staggered three-year terms.
- This position serves on the House Leadership Team and the Academy Board of Directors.
Part I: Qualifications
- Is a current member of the Academy in the Active classification.
- Has served at least two (2) years in the House of Delegates as an elected or appointed delegate in the past 10 years.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- Has additional experience in activities and operations of the Academy, such as participation in national, DPG, MIG and affiliate and/or district dietetic associations.
- Obtains employer support for involvement and time commitment.
Part II: Requirements
- The HOD Director shall serve a three (3) year term.
- The HOD Director also serves on the Academy Board of Directors.
- Time. The HOD Director position requires a time commitment of two (2) months (25-30 days) each year for meetings and travel in addition to the Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™, conference calls and/or on-line discussions. Additional time is required for correspondence, planning, writing reports related to the work of the BOD and HOD/HLT. Depending on committee appointments and the Academy's program of work, this time commitment may be greater.
Overview of Meetings
- HLT meetings: Two times per year.
- June/July: Thursday-Sunday
- January: Friday-Saturday
- HOD meetings: Two times per year.
- Fall Meeting/FNCE® (September/October): Thursday-Wednesday
- Spring Meeting (April/May): Thursday-Monday
- BOD meetings: Four to five times per year.
- July/August: Saturday-Sunday
- September/October: Wednesday following FNCE®
- February/March: Saturday-Sunday
- May (following Spring HOD Meeting): Sunday-Monday)
- Public Policy Workshop (PPW): One time per year (Monday-Wednesday).
Overview of Conference Calls
- HLT conducts calls every four to six weeks, which usually last 1 ½ hours.
- The position may require additional time and talent for special projects and/or task force assignments from the House of Delegates/HOD Leadership Team and the Board of Directors.
Part III: Recommended Skill Sets
Specific to HOD Directors
- Experience in meeting management and facilitation
- Ability to communicate effectively and with self-confidence
- Ability to identify and address issues impacting the profession
- Differentiates between organizational and professional issues
- Demonstrates public social skills and presentation skills
- Facilitates productive resolution of conflict and consensus
- Thinks globally
- Demonstrates an earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity and honesty
- Possesses the ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision making authority
- Earned respect of other key stakeholder group members and exhibits self-confidence with internal and external audiences, exhibiting strong networking and relationship building skills
- Possesses the ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them
- Differentiates between "oversight" and "supervision" and understands board-member-staff interrelationships
- Demonstrates familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the process for which the group is responsible as well as the substantive content of the subject area within which decisions and choices will have to be made
Part IV: Functions
- Serves as a member of the HOD and the HOD Leadership Team.
- Serves as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Serves as a liaison to other groups as requested by the Academy President and the House of Delegates Speaker.
- Collaborates with other HLT members to facilitate the HOD Meeting dialogue sessions (one to two dialogue sessions per HOD meeting).
- Works with other HOD Directors to triage professional and member issues, facilitating and/or appointing task forces, facilitating team decision-making and consensus building to help accomplish the Academy's mission, vision and strategic goals.
- Evaluates and performs self-assessments to determine the HOD and BOD ability to govern the profession and the Academy, respectively.
- Performs other duties as designated by the Academy President and HOD Speaker.
- Encourages and promotes diversity and inclusivity.