Three year term. Multiple positions with varying representation (RDN, NDTR, Specialist Practitioner, Advanced Practitioner and Nominating Committee RDN Representative).
Part I: Qualifications
Qualifications Specific to Commission on Dietetic Registration Representatives
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist or Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered.
- Experience in professional activities and demonstrated leadership through national and affiliate and/or district involvement.
- Experience with other related organizations is preferred.
- Member of the Academy preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and knowledge of credentialing requirements of the profession. Experience in standard setting and fiscal management; strategic orientation.
- One (1) member of the Commission must be a Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered.
- One (1) member of the Commission must be a Board Certified Specialist in Dietetics.
- One (1) member of the Commission must be an Advanced Practitioner in Clinical Nutrition.
Qualifications Specific to Commission on Dietetic Registration Nominating Committee RDN Representative
- Currently credentialed as a Registered Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
- Has served as a CDR Commissioner, Panel, Committee, Task Force or Work Group member and whose term expired ten (10) or less years ago.
- Possess a strong understanding of CDR's credentialing role and functions, and the requirements for effective functioning in a CDR leadership position included on the ballot.
- Not currently serving on or a candidate for an elected office on the Academy or its organization units.
Part II: Requirements
Members of the CDR serve a three (3) year term. The Commission will select the chair.
- The time requirement for members of the Commission on Dietetic Registration is approximately twenty (20) days each year for meetings and travel. Time is also required for conference calls, correspondence, planning, writing reports and assignments within CDR panels and subcommittees. Employer support in advance is encouraged.
- The time requirement for the Commission on Dietetic Registration Nominating Committee RDN Representative is four (4) one-two hour teleconferences between June and November, in addition to three to four hours review and evaluation of nomination information prior to selection of candidate recommendations.
Part III: Recommended Skill Sets
See Universal Skill Set.
Skill Sets Specific to Commission on Dietetic Registration Representatives
- Experience and interest in credentialing and associated issues
- Commitment to protecting the public through setting standards
- Knowledgeable about accreditation/credentialing requirements
- Differentiates between organization and professional issues
- Expertise in specialist practice areas (if a nominee for a specialist position)
- Expertise in advanced practice clinical nutrition (if nominee for advanced practice position
Skill Sets Specific to Commission on Dietetic Registration Nominating Committee RDN Representative
- Understands strategic direction and associated leadership requirements of CDR
- Participates in national networks of CDR credentialed practitioners
- Communicates effectively and with self-confidence, has critical thinking and evaluation skills, ability to work with a team and put the needs of the organization first in order to reach consensus
- Evaluates information analytically
- Is proactive
- Is visionary
- Demonstrates a broad knowledge of the nutrition and dietetics profession
- Exhibits self-confidence with internal and external audiences
Part IV: Functions
Functions Specific to Commission on Dietetic Registration Representatives
- Act and advocate in all appropriate ways before the public, the profession, educational entities and all levels of government to encourage and achieve the highest standards in the practice of nutrition and dietetics
- Establish and evaluate standards, policies and procedures for the certification program, including eligibility, reinstatement, examination and recertification
- Establish fees and provide for responsible fiscal planning and control for the administration of the certification program
- Establish policies and guidelines for CDR Appeals Panel
- Appoint committees and consultants to assist the Commission in meeting its program of work, goals, and objectives
- Establish, administer, and enforce the code of ethics for credentialed practitioners
- Contract with state licensure boards and other entities for certification collaboration
- Works with other Commission members to learn role and responsibilities of office and ensure continuity
- Commitment to team decision-making and accomplishment of the Commission's strategic and operating plans
- Objectivity in advising, counseling and working with the Commission; skills in consensus building
- Encourage and promote diversity, equity and inclusion
Functions Specific to Commission on Dietetic Registration Nominating Committee RDN Representative
- Identify potential candidates who possess the characteristics and skill sets needed to help advance the CDR strategic plan
- Collaborate with CDR to review and refine skill sets and qualifications
- Conduct gap analysis of current Commission perspectives to identify future needs
- Communicate with CDR credentialed practitioners to identify qualified, diverse and representative group of nominees
- Evaluate, screens, and selects candidates for the national CDR ballot
- Encourage and promote diversity, equity and inclusion, recognizing differences in culture, ethnicity, age, gender, race and creed, religion, and sexual orientation, physical ability, education, experience, philosophy, politics and socio- economic characteristics
- Communicate CDR candidate selections to the Academy Nominating Committee
- Manage CDR election process
- Collaborate with the Academy Nominating Committee to develop, update, disseminate campaign guidelines
- Inform candidate of results, request evaluation of the process and communicates other opportunities for leadership
- Continue to establish a pool of candidates
- Collaborate with the Academy Nominating Committee
- Foster leadership development opportunities on CDR committees, panels and task forces
- Evaluate and analyze nominations and election processes and makes recommendations for change to CDR and the Academy Nominating Committee
- Support Strategic Plan
- Uphold/promote the CDR strategic plan to the public, employers, and CDR credentialed practitioners who value CDR's credentialing programs