Six Academy members and credentialed practitioners were selected to serve on the 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which is comprised of 20 members who are highly qualified nutrition scientists with demonstrated expertise.Read the Full Story
Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Nutrition plays an imperative role in overall health. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans are developed by qualified, nutrition scientists using science-based evidence to help the public make better informed food and beverage choices.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics strongly supports the guideline’s underlying purpose – making them actionable by health care providers and the public. The Academy also supports the development of a comprehensive plan for the Dietary Guidelines' broad and effective implementation. As the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is involved throughout the development process of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
There are four stages of the development process:
- The U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services identify the topics and supporting scientific questions to be examined.
- Highly qualified nutrition scientists with demonstrated expertise are appointed by USDA and HHS to serve on the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee and review current scientific evidence.
- Based on thorough, scientific review, the advisory committee creates and submits a scientific report which is used to inform the new iteration of the Dietary Guidelines.
- The new Dietary Guidelines for Americans are implemented via federal programs.
Individuals are encouraged to submit public comments and participate in virtual Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee meetings; learn more here.
Academy Updates: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2025-2030
- Academy Members Selected to Serve on 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (January 2023)
- Academy Nominates Members for Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (July 2022)
- Seeking Nominees for 2025-2030 DGAC (April 2022)
Academy Updates: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025
- 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans Released (December 2020)
- Academy Submits Recommendations for Dietary Guidelines Scientific Report (August 2020)
- Academy President Provides Oral Comments on Scientific Report of 2020 DGAC (August 2020)
- DGAC Releases Final Report Academy Review Underway (July 2020)
The Academy has submitted the names of 25 member experts as nominees to serve on the 2025-2030 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.Read the Full Story
12/29/2020 - The Academy is conducting a thorough review of the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans released on December 29 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.Read the Full Story
08/14/2020 - The 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans must be informed by rigorous, scientific evidence that represents all Americans. Thanks to the input received by members, yesterday, the Academy submitted its recommendations for the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee's Scientific Report.Read the Full Story
08/11/2020 – Academy President (2020-21) Linda T. Farr presented the Academy's comments to the USDA and the HHS on the Scientific Report of the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.Read the Full Story
07/15/2020 - The Academy is reviewing the Scientific Report of the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, to which it contributed substantial input during its development.Read the Full Story
Join the Academy
Members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics receive exciting benefits including complimentary continuing professional education opportunities, discounts on events and products in eatrightSTORE.org, invitations to exclusive members-only events and more!