Research DPG members are passionate about research and the value it brings to all aspects of nutrition and dietetics practice. The membership of the Research DPG includes highly respected researchers in the area of nutrition and dietetics from universities, governments, non-profit research agencies, industry and a variety of dietetic practices. Many members are involved in cutting-edge projects in the Academy, including the Evidence Analysis Library®, Position Paper authorship and review. The DPG also welcomes members beginning research careers and/or adding a research component to well-established careers.
Mission: The Research Dietetic Practice Group is leading the future of dietetics by promoting the conduct and application of research related to food, nutrition and dietetics.
Vision: The Research Dietetic Practice Group will provide members with information and networking to allow them to be the valued source for conducting, interpreting, and applying research related to food, nutrition, and dietetics.
- Chair: Ashley Vargas, PhD, MPH, RDN, FAND
- Chair-elect: Barbara Gordon, MBS, RDN, LD
- Past Chair: Lauri Byerley, PhD, RDN, FAND
- Treasurer: Maria Morgan Bathke, PhD, RD
- Secretary: Tracey Ledoux, PhD, RD, FAND
- Nominating Committee: Mary-Jon Ludy, PhD, RDN, FAND
- Newsletter Editor: Tricia Psota, PhD, RDN
- Delegate: David Holben, PhD, MA, MS, RDN, FAND
- Academy Research Council Liaison: Barbara Gordon, RD, LD
- Website Committee Chair: Valisa Hedrick, PhD, RD
- PAL: Brook Harmon, RD, FAND
- Membership Coordinator: Kathryn Hoy, MSFN, RD, CD, CDN
- Networking with members about current research issues
- Continuing education available to members from a variety of sources, including The Digest articles approved for CPEU, FNCE® sessions planned by the DPG, webinars and others
- Electronic mailing list membership available free-of-charge
- Regular communication with other members on the EML, by e-mails and on the website
- Opportunities for interaction with national leaders experts in nutrition and dietetics research
- Announcements of new grant funding, position openings, requests for leadership and new food and nutrition initiatives
- Access to the RDPG website
- Annual FNCE® Member Breakfast for networking and updates on activities
- Recognition by annual awards for research excellence
- Seed grant awards for new research ideas
- Mentoring event for nutrition researchers
- Webinar on nutrition research
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
The Digest is the quarterly newsletter available online to RDPG members. Lead articles are available for CPEU credit. Other articles report research activities of members, highlight individual members and accomplishments and include reports from current officers on group activities.
Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- Undergraduate and Graduate Student Paper Awards
- Seed grant awards for pilot projects
- Other awards are available irregularly and will be announced to members via monthly eblast when open/available
Networking, Business Meetings, Continuing Professional Education Events, Receptions
The Research DPG holds a breakfast reception and a business meeting at FNCE® giving members an opportunity for networking. Also, members communicate via e-mail and EML. The DPG sponsors an educational session at FNCE® for CPEU.
Enhancement and Promotion of the Academy's Strategic Initiatives and Campaigns
RDPG supports this initiative by communicating with new members, maintaining an electronic mailing list, sending group emails about issues of concern to all members, and providing a website accessible to members. Awards recognize members and their students for their research endeavors.
Influence key food, nutrition and health initiatives
By leading research, members are providing input to many initiatives.
Impact the research agenda and facilitate research supporting the dietetics profession
Many Research DPG members are involved with the Academy Evidence Based Analysis Library® thereby impacting the profession. Members serve as liaisons to the Academy's Council on Research, the House of Delegates and other key Academy groups.