The Oncology Nutrition DPG (ON DPG) promotes quality oncology nutrition practice in cancer treatment, prevention and survivorship. ON DPG is now in its 26th year and has many major accomplishments that support and promote the oncology dietitian. These include establishing Board Certification as a Specialist in Oncology Nutrition, publication of countless premier oncology nutrition resources, developing Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists in Oncology Nutrition Care and collaboration with the National Academy of Science and Medicine (formerly the Institute of Medicine) on the Workshop "Examining Access to Nutrition Care in Outpatient Cancer Centers".
Mission: Empowering ON DPG members as oncology nutrition leaders and experts through advocacy, education and research.
Vision: Optimizing the health of persons with cancer and cancer survivors and contributing to cancer prevention efforts through food and nutrition.
Philosophy: To be a resource for oncology nutrition experts across the continuum of care.
- Chair: Alice Bender, MS, RDN
- Chair-Elect: Caitlin Benda, MBA, MS, RD, CSO
- Secretary: Lori Kiker, MS, RDN, LD, CSO
- Nominating Committee Chair: Erin Gurd, RDN
- Past Chair: Heather Bell-Temin, MS RD, CSO, LDN
Member Benefit Highlights
- The ON DPG's website will help you find current DPG events, professional resources, and more. The most popular section - "Eat Right to Fight Cancer" - includes answers to some of the most common questions asked by cancer patients.
- Electronic Mailing List is a great way to interact with over 800 colleagues. Members say it's one of the most valuable benefits of ON DPG.
- Access to The Complete Resource Kit for Oncology Nutrition and ready to print patient education materials in the "Eat Right to Fight Cancer" section of the website.
- Eight free webinars each year. Recent ones include: "Plant Based Diets for Cancer Survivors" and "Nutrition Therapy for Patients Being Treated for Neuroendocrine Tumors." CEUs also available through archived webinars.
- Awards and Grants: Given for outstanding work and to help fund continuing education.
- Networking opportunities, such as a free member reception at FNCE® on October 21, 2018; our FNCE® Spotlight Session; and our 2018 Oncology Nutrition DPG Symposium.
- Pediatric Subunit for sharing resources with other pediatric oncology dietitians.
Members Only Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- Connie San Andres-Robles Distinguished ON DPG Service Award
- ON DPG Distinguished Practice Award
- Educational grants
- ON DPG Speakers Bureau Honoraria
- Research Grants
Networking, Continuing Professional Education Live Events
- FNCE® ON DPG Spotlight Session: Reducing Cancer Risk One Meal at a Time: Updated Recommendations by Steven Clinton, MD, PhD and Karen Collins, MS, RDN, CDN, FAND
- FNCE® Annual ON DPG Member Reception
- FNCE® Annual DPG/MIG Showcase
The ON DPG posts the latest on oncology nutrition research, updates on what members are doing to educate the community and recipes on Facebook.
- Academy Members may join ON DPG through the Academy website: Select ON DPG #20 on the registration form. The member dues are $35. A special Student Membership rate of just $10 is available.
- If you are not an Academy member, but are qualified to be one, you must first join the Academy before joining ON DPG.