The Healthy Aging DPG believes the health and wellness of older adults is improved by optimal nutrition and physical activity. Their members are a valued source of information on healthy aging who:
- Translate research into evidence-based practices
- Advocate to reduce hunger, food insecurity and health disparities
- Promote independence and well being through health promotion, chronic disease management strategies and public policy advocacy
- Lead the future of dietetics in the aging community
- Have valuable member benefits that enhance practice and collaboration
Mission: Empowering and supporting members to be food and nutrition leaders promoting life-long wellness.
Vision: Optimizing longevity and wellness in aging through food and nutrition.
Officers and Executive Committee
- Chair: Katie Dodd, MS, RDN, CSG, LD, FAND
- Chair-Elect: Margery Gann, MBA, RD, LDN, FAND
- Past Chair: Claire Schmelzer, MPH, RDN, LD
- Secretary: Tara Hatala, RDN
- Treasurer: Kathryn Tucker, MS, RD, CSG, LD
- Communications Director: Melanie Betz, MS, RD, LDN, CSG
- Sponsorship Director: Mary Herrstrom, MBA, RDN, LDN
- Membership Director: Maureen Janowski, RD, LDN, CSG, FAND
- Professional Development Director: Claire Bell, MSPH, RD, CSG
- Nominating Committee Chair: Carol Berg-Sloan, RD, FAND
- Policy and Advocacy Leader: Candace Johnson, RDN, CSG, FAND
- Student Executive Committee Member: Lynnsey Bogash
- The Spectrum newsletter with pertinent practice-based topics and CPEU opportunities (including access to all archived newsletters), author opportunities available to members.
- Regularly scheduled educational webinars (all with a self-study option).
- Robust website with resources and information to strengthen members' practice including a page for students.
- Monthly e-newsletter on upcoming DPG information and activities.
- The CSG Help Desk along with discount pricing on CSG study flash cards and review videos. These resources are available to members to assist in planning for and successfully obtaining the CSG credential.
- Electronic mailing list option to communicate with members.
- Health Aging podcasts on a variety of topics.
- Malnutrition resources including access to the Grip Strength Toolkit and the 2018 Older Adult Malnutrition: An Interdisciplinary Approach Virtual Conference recordings.
- Networking event at Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®)
- Volunteer and board member opportunities for members.
- Student resources webpage with tip sheets and opportunities to volunteer within the DPG including the student executive committee member position.
Newsletter and Unique Features
The Spectrum newsletter is available electronically (all past issues are archived) and frequently contains CPEU opportunities. Author opportunities available. For information, please contact Healthy Aging DPG's administrative office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academy Positions Involvement
- Individualized Nutrition Approaches for Older Adults: Long-Term Care, Post-Acute Care, and Other Settings
Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- National Nutrition Month® activity recognition
Networking, Business Meetings, Continuing Professional Education Events, Receptions
The Healthy Aging DPG has an annual networking event at the annual FNCE®. Healthy Aging has a formalized networking relationship with three groups: the Meals on Wheels Association of America, the Society for Nutritional Education, and the National Association of Nutrition and Aging Services Programs.
Healthy Aging supports members by providing information on food, nutrition and wellness programs and services for older adults through the newsletter The Spectrum, webinars, pre-approved self-study modules, website, electronic mailing list, FNCE® programs, CSG study resources, and student resources and volunteer opportunities.
For more information, contact the Healthy Aging Executive Office at 206/935-5104 or by email.