Food and Culinary Professionals is a dietetic practice group founded in 1997 to develop and strengthen food expertise throughout the profession of dietetics. The group is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2017.
The membership consists of culinary educators, food writers, cookbook authors, chefs, marketing professionals, PR executives, food scientists, media reporters and anyone who loves food and nutrition.
- FCP is the lead organization within the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the Academy Foundation to advance culinary initiatives/issues.
- The public trusts and relies on registered dietitians as food, culinary and nutrition experts.
- Members and prospective members view FCP as key to professional success.
- FCP's Executive Committee manages the practice group resources to carry out its mission, vision and program of work.
- The group promotes health through the enjoyment and understanding of food.
- The group believes that anywhere food is being discussed, registered dietitian nutritionists can bring their expertise and unique perspective to broaden the understanding of the nutrition and cultural meaning food provides to all.
Mission: Empower members to be the nation's food, culinary and nutrition leaders.
Vision: Optimizing the nation's health through food and nutrition.
- Chair: Garrett Berdan, RDN
- Chair-elect: Kerry Neville, MS, RD
- Treasurer: Leigh Ann Edwards Hall, MPH, RD
- Secretary: Sarah Martin, MPP, RD, LDN
- Past Chair: Kimberly Kirchherr, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, FAND
- Nominating Committee Chair: Nicki Briggs, MS, RDN
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
- Tastings is the online newsletter with a food and culinary focus. Features include culinary trends, educational programs and food communications.
- The FCP website features a member marketplace, educational event calendar, online member directory, FCP mentor program, as well as information on FCP Connects, upcoming workshops and the four sub-specialty groups.
- Six separate electronic mailing lists are available to all members — our regular EML, supermarket/retail EML, restaurant/hospitality EML food safety EML, agriculture EML and a mentor EML.
Networking, Business Meetings, Continuing Professional Education Events, Receptions
- FCP has four specialty subgroups — supermarket/retail, restaurant/hospitality, food safety and agriculture.
- FCP hosts a number of FNCE® events including pre-conference educational event/tours/dinners (including, when possible, a hands-on culinary workshop), a networking reception and usually business breakfast meeting plus a strong presence in the DPG showcase.
- Educational webinars are held monthly on the latest culinary and food topics.
- FCP hosts a culinary workshop that offers attendees a chance to further develop their culinary expertise and skills. The next workshop will be offered in March 2019 in Nashville. Watch the FCP website for details – we anticipate that registration will open in early September.
- FCP Connects — offer networking and foodie opportunities to connect with FCP members locally and regionally (check the event calendar for details).
- FCP International Education Trips provide opportunities to earn CPEUs in international locations. Plans are underway for the 2019 trips to Hungary and Budapest (two will be offered this year).
- FCP has a strong social media presence to enable dialogue with colleagues and education to the public by registered dietitians with content provided by the DPG's executive committee and the Academy
Connect with Us
You can contact the FCP Office at:
P.O. Box 46998
Seattle, WA 98146