The Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine, a practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, consists of over 5,200 Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, Dietetic Technicians, Registered, and dietetic students and interns who practice in, or have specific interest in, an integrated and personalized approach to nutrition, health, and healing. The DIFM philosophy centers around a holistic, "Food as Medicine" approach to wellness, and is based firmly in the Integrative Medicine model. Whole-food therapies, targeted supplements, and mind-body modalities form the basis of "Integrative and Functional Medical Nutrition Therapy." Integrative Nutrition RDNs apply this model to the nutrition care process in clinical practice and are also instrumental in reshaping healthcare.
Mission: Empower members to be leaders in Integrative and Functional Nutrition.
Vision: Optimize health and healing with integrative nutrition.
Values: Innovation, Integrity, Compassion.
- Chair: Danielle Omar, MS, RDN
- Past Chair: Mary Purdy, MS, RDN
- Chair-Elect: Dana Elia, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND
- Treasurer: Ryan Whitcomb, MS, RD, CLT
- Secretary: Denine Rogers, MS, RDN, LD, FAND
- DPG Delegate: Mary Beth Augustine, RDN, CDN, FAND
- Nominating Chair: Susan Linke, MS, RDN, LD
Why Join the Practice Group?
The DPG believes you will benefit from joining DIFM DPG because the 21st century nutrition practice demands forward thinking professionals who possess a wide range of skills in systems biology, nutritional genomics, sustainable food systems, and dietary supplements and seeks practitioners who utilize a broad range of holistic modalities to provide personalized nutrition care. Integrative and functional medicine nutrition and dietetics practitioners recognize that each person has their own genetic, biochemical, environmental, and lifestyle influences that uniquely impact health and healing. To survive and thrive in this evolving health care environment, DIFM will support you in acquiring knowledge and skills in integrative and functional medicine through education, advocacy and networking.
- Free annual subscription to the Natural Medicines Database, a trusted source for evidence-based research on dietary supplements.
- Webinars and discounts on continuing education opportunities and materials.
- Free digital subscriptions to three professional Integrative Health Journals.
- Emerging research on Nutritional Genomics available via the website and newsletter
- Intellectual debate and progressive information available through the DIFM members-only Yahoo Groups electronic mailing list.
- Networking Relationships with state of the art professional organizations offering excellent discounts on network programs and services. The networks include:
- Connection with other DIFM members through our "Member Search" database
- Opportunity to market your practice to consumers, clinicians, and health care organizations seeking personalized care from integrative and functional nutrition practitioners though the website's "Find an IntegrativeRDN" database
- Active student forum and student participation in all DIFM events and activities.
- Social media groups including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Invitation to apply for educational stipends.
- Invitation to apply for awards: DIFM Excellence in Service Award, DIFM Excellence in Practice Awards, Outstanding Student Award; Awardees each receive $500.
- DIFM Visionary Award and DIFM Lifetime Achievement Awards; Awardees receive $1,500.
- DIFM Coaching/Mentoring Program
- DIFM Diversity Outreach and Awards
DIFM Newsletter: The Integrative RD
The Integrative RDN, a quality integrative nutrition newsletter, is published quarterly, offers two free CPEU articles each year, and full access to archived issues on the website. The newsletter is designed to improve and build upon your understanding of integrative and functional nutrition therapies and includes:
- Content-rich articles
- Timely information on cutting-edge topics
- Clinical practice pearls
- Translation of research into practice
- Frequently asked questions about integrative and functional medicine therapies
DIFM Member Events
- DIFM Meet Ups, Business meetings, continuing education events, and other activities
- Webinars offered throughout the year on a variety of IFN topics
- Educational Symposium prior to FNCE®
- Annual Member event at FNCE®
Academy Voice and Advocacy
- DIFM Representation in the Academy House of Delegates
- Authoring and/or reviewing JAND position articles
- Participation in the Academy's Council on Future Practice
- Natural Medicines Database subscription
- Functional Nutrition Toolkit with educational opportunities and resources
- Free subscription to 3 Integrative Health Journals
- Online Certificate of Training Program-Integrative and Functional Nutrition
For more information, contact us by email.