Dietetics in Health Care Communities includes registered dietitians, registered dietitian nutritionists, and nutrition and dietetic technicians, registered who are employed or are contracted to work in a variety of allied health care settings. These include acute and long term care facilities, long term hospitals, rehab units, correctional facilities, home care companies, health care agencies and the foodservice industry. Many of these dietitians have become entrepreneurs publishing menus, manuals and training aides, and resources for providing medical nutrition therapy.
DHCC provides its members with up-to-date information and resources to keep ahead of the ever-changing healthcare environments in which they operate. Chair Cindy Wolfram, RDN, LD, shares, "DHCC was the first DPG recognized by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (then the American Dietetic Association) and has grown and evolved over the years, adapting to many changes in post-acute care standards of practice, as well as the regulatory environment. DHCC members value the information provided through publications (including the Connections quarterly newsletter and monthly E-Updates), cost-effective webinars, and sharing of expertise and ideas. We continue to put member needs first and contribute to their professional lives."
The group continues to pursue more frequent communication with members via its newsletter (Connections), monthly E-Updates, the DHCC website, the Forum electronic mailing list (EML), and Corrections EML. DHCC is proud of its timely webinars providing continuing education to members at their workplace or home. DHCC strives to reach members - both active and potential - via social media through its Facebook and LinkedIn sites.
Mission: Empower DHCC members to be the nation's food and nutrition leaders.
Vision: DHCC members optimize the nation's health through food and nutrition.
- Chair: Cynthia Wolfram, RDN, LD
- Chair-Elect: Cora J Martin, RDN, CSG, LD
- Treasurer: Julie Driscoll, RDN, CSR, CSG, LDN
- Secretary: Heather Wilson, Med, RD, LDN
- Past Chair: Mary Rybicki, MS, RDN, LDN
- Corrections: The Corrections Sub-unit is the advocate for RDs, RDNs and NDTRs working in the field of corrections through current information, trends, regulations, research, tools and networking opportunities. The sub-unit shares professional information among colleagues to advance the impact of nutrition in all types of correctional facilities. Effective communication and exchange of ideas is essential to publicizing the benefits of utilizing the registered dietitian in the correctional environment.
- Dietetic Technicians: This Sub-unit is new to DHCC as of June 1, 2018. The Dietetic Technician Sub-unit will continue to advocate for DTRs/NDTRs, provide education about scope of practice and opportunities to network while also contributing to the overall goals of DHCC.
Newsletter and Unique Features
Connections is the DHCC quarterly publication addressing current topics in geriatric nutrition, long-term care, corrections, home care, food safety and sanitation and includes continuing professional education credits. Members receive the publication as part of their membership service.
- Pocket Resource for Nutrition Assessment (2017-Revision)
- Nutrition Care of the Older Adult: A Handbook for Dietetic Professionals Working Throughout the Continuum of Care — 3rd Ed. 2015
- Pocket Resource for Management (2015)
- Inservice Manual (Electronic Download; order through www.dhccdpg.org) (2015)
- Eating Matters: A Training Manual for Feeding Assistants (2003)
- Manual for Feeding Assistants (2003)
- Emergency Management for the Healthcare Professional (Electronic Download; order through www.dhccdpg.org) (2012)
Publications can be ordered at www.dhccdpg.org or through the Academy Member Service Center, 800/877-1600, ext. 5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Central).
Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- Circle Award (available to non-DHCC members)
- Best Practice Awards (DHCC members only)
- Abbott Leadership Award (DHCC members only)
- Distinguished Member Award (DHCC members only)
- Up and Coming Member (DHCC members only)
- Gaynold Jensen Award (DHCC members only)
- Student Stipends – awarded each year to assist in expenses to attend FNCE®
For more information, go to DHCC website
Networking, CPEU Events, Receptions
- Networking: DHCC encourages members to network via the Members' EML. To participate, go to the DHCC website and click on Resources, then Join EML.
- Members can also network via the DHCC Facebook and LinkedIn sites.
- At the Academy's Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®), DHCC hosts numerous events for members:
- Saturday Workshop (10/20/18)
- Member Reception (10/22/18)
- Corrections and Dietetic Technicians Sub-unit meetings
- DPG/MIG Showcase
- Webinars – throughout the year on a variety of topics
- American Medical Directors Association
- Association of Nutrition and Foodservice Professionals
- Pioneer Network
Office phone: 206/935-5104