Dietetics Preceptor Training Program
The Dietetics Preceptor Training Program helps preceptors of dietetics students prepare for and excel in their important role as teachers, coaches and mentors. This free training was formally provided on the Commission on Dietetic Registration website. The training materials have not been modified; they have only been moved to a new learning management platform. The complimentary training awards participants with 8.0 CPEUs. The training includes seven modules covering the following topics:
- Preparing for the Role as Preceptor
- Planning for Student Learning
- Facilitating Student Learning
- Assessing Student Learning
- Communicating Effectively
- Managing Time
- Keeping Current
Through these modules preceptors will learn about their different roles and about strategies to enhance their teaching effectiveness. Several activities, self-assessments, tools, and resources are included such as developing a goal-based learning plan, solving case-based scenarios, and completing a communication checklist. At the end of every module, preceptors can view past discussions and participate in new discussions that cover the topic. An additional optional eighth module was added to include discussion threads of previous program participants. This optional module is not necessary to complete to obtain the CPEUs.
Objectives of the course include:
- Describe the characteristics of effective preceptors
- Identify three key responsibilities of students and three expectations preceptors should have of students
- Describe four methods to monitor and assess student development of the ACEND® competencies and learning outcomes
- Identify three sources of information for keeping current in dietetics education, credentialing and practice
From that page, you will "Enroll for Free" and set up your profile to begin the course.
For questions about the Preceptor Training, contact ACEND.
Find an ACEND-Accredited Program
ACEND has more than 600 accredited programs across the United States and select countries internationally, with in-person and online options. Use the search filters to find the program that fits your needs.