The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, is seeking a Manager, Policy and Advocacy Communications in our Washington, D.C. office to oversee planning, composition, layout and production of communications in all media formats including online, social marketing and traditional venues. The successful candidate will develop public policy communications and assess audiences, market and vehicles and make recommendations for coordinated, effective dissemination of messages to assure consistent messaging within the Academy.
- Develop communication plans that defines goals, targets, media venues and social media content for policy and grassroots campaigns. Uses metrics to evaluate and report the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Develop and manage communications for several groups including the Policy, Initiatives and Advocacy (PIA) team, the Legislative Public Policy Committee, Academy Political Action Committee, Public Policy Panel and the monthly public policy update.
- Conduct policy research to validate facts contained in communications and reports.
- Write, edit and manage all PIA submissions to the Academy Eat Right Weekly newsletter.
- Draft and submit press releases in local and national markets relevant to Academy public policy initiatives.
- Will maintain content for the PIA sections of the Academy's web site, prepare oral and written comments for testimonies, hearings and PAC events, and coordinate and publish bi-annual ANDPAC newsletter.
- Research and write various public communications relating to the Academy's stances on policy issues/legislations; media notices on upcoming events, and reactions by the Academy to breaking news, reports/studies and legislative activity.
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, Nutrition Communication, Journalism, Public Health and Public Policy or a related field, plus one year of academic training.
- RDN credential and Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to communicate with members at all levels of practice and a variety of audiences, with an understanding of both state and federal government.
- Must be able to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Ideal candidate will be able to work under tight deadlines while producing a high quality of work.
- The position may lend itself to some telecommuting (up to 20%) after an initial training period and proven successful track record.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, LTD, tuition reimbursement and 401k match with IMMEDIATE VESTING!
The Academy promotes a friendly, professional and challenging team-based work environment. Also, the Academy's office is conveniently located near public transportation: two major Metra train stations (Union and Ogilvie), CTA lines and major bus routes are all within a few blocks.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.