Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition (SCAN) is one of the largest and most active dietetic practice groups of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. With more than 6,300 members, SCAN brings together nutrition professionals with expertise in sports and physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness and disordered eating and eating disorders. SCAN encourages practice excellence by providing innovative professional development and networking opportunities, and by promoting SCAN members to the staff and membership of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, to other health and fitness professionals, and to the general public.
Mission: To empower members to be the nation's food and nutrition leaders through excellence and expertise in nutrition for sports and physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness, and disordered eating and eating disorders.
Vision: Optimize the nation's health by providing exceptional nutrition care in sports performance and physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness and disordered eating and eating disorders.
- Sports Dietetics (SD)-USA
- Wellness/Cardiovascular RDs (Wellness/CV)
- Disordered Eating and Eating Disorders (DEED)
Learning and Professional Development Opportunities:
- FREE quarterly subscriptions to PULSE newsletter mailed to members and available online, quarterly e-newsletters for SD-USA SCORE, Wellness/CV CONNECTION and student publication, The Beat
- Support for pursuing Board Certification as Specialist in Sports Dietetics, developed with the Commission on Dietetic Registration by SD-USA leaders
- FREE or 20 percent reduced rate access on numerous cutting-edge webinars and e-learning programs
- 20 percent discount on registration at SCAN events
- Professional skills, leadership ability and networking through volunteer opportunities (contact Member Services Director, Katie Davis)
Practice Information and Resources:
- Member personalization of "My Profile" at www.scandpg.org:
- Join SCAN subunits
- Expand client base or enhance job search through Find a SCAN RD function
- FREE online products and services promotion via Member Marketplace
- FREE access to Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
- Member rate for customizable Corporate Wellness Market PowerPoint and Client Fact Sheets
- Free fact sheets and PowerPoint slides for your client education and marketing needs
- FREE client materials including 10 Simple Steps to Making Good Habits More Delicious. This guide offers simple steps and cooking tips that align with the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and can be ordered from the website.
- Disordered eating 'Ask the Doc' program
- FREE subunit memberships
- Online Blog, members-only electronic mailing lists (EMLs), mentoring forum, online discussion forums for each of SCAN's practice areas, as well as public policy and other hot topics.
- Social media connections via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- SCAN-sponsored events at the Academy's Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo
- The Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) credential is available through CDR. SD-USA, a subunit of SCAN, assisted in the development of this certification.
- SCAN's PULSE is a highly regarded quarterly newsletter delivering original feature articles, CPE opportunities (FREE for SCAN members), research updates, book reviews, conference summaries and more. Subscription cost for non Academy-eligible members is $50 for individuals and $100 for institutions for four issues annually. Subscription year is June 1 to May 31. To subscribe, contact the SCAN Office (800/249-2875).
Publications Offered Though the Academy
Sports Nutrition: A Practice Manual for Professionals (5th edition, 2012) and companion CD. To order by credit card or to receive an Academy Products and Services catalog contact Academy Customer Service, 800/877-1600, ext. 5000, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Central), or visit the online catalog.
Academy Timely Statements and Positions Involvement
Nutrition and Athletic Performance. The Academy, Dietitians of Canada, American College of Sports Medicine Joint Statement of Position and Standards of Professional Practice. J Am Diet. Assoc. March 2009 SCAN Reviewers:
- Laura Kruskall, PhD, RD, CSSD, FACSM
- Kim Crawford PhD, RD, CSSD, LDN
- Shaun Riebl, MS, RD, LD/N
- Paul Moore, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN, CSCS, NSCA-CPT*D
- Nanna Meyer, PhD, RD, CSSD
Functional Foods SCAN Reviewers:
- Jenna A. Bell, PhD, RD, CSSD
- Satya Jonnnalagadda, PhD, MBA, RD
Academy Disorders of Lipid Metabolism Guidelines 2010 Update SCAN Reviewer:
- Sharon Smalling, MPH, RD, LD
SCAN members Roberta Anding, MS, RD, LD, CDE, CSSD and Hope Barkoukis, PhD, RD, LD are currently serving a five-year term as Academy representatives to the American College of Sports Medicine, where they represent SCAN and Academy's positions and practice guidelines.
President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition Science Board
Upon recommendation of the SCAN Executive Committee, three members of SCAN have been appointed to serve on the President's Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition Science Board. The PCFSN Science Board includes scholars who are selected because of their significant contributions to the research and science of physical activity, health, sports or nutrition. SCAN members now serving on the PCFSN Science Board include:
- Linda Houtkooper, PhD, RD
- Melinda Manore, PhD, RD, CSSD
- Stella Volpe, PhD, RD, LDN
National Physical Activity Plan
The National Physical Activity Plan is a comprehensive set of policies, programs, and initiatives that aim to increase physical activity in all segments of the American population. The Plan is the product of a private-public sector collaborative. Hundreds of organizations are working together to change our communities in ways that will enable every American to be sufficiently physically active. SCAN member Kim Crawford, PhD, RD serves as the Academy's representative to the NPAP Coordinating Committee.
- Academy for Eating Disorders
- Female Athlete Triad
- IDEA Health and Fitness Association
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- National Lipid Association
- American Association for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Awards and Grants
- SCAN Achievement Award (SCAN Members Only)
- SCAN Excellence in Practice Award (SCAN Members Only)
- SCAN Distinguished Scholar Award
- SCAN Distinguished Ambassador Award
- SCAN Student Award (Student Members Only)
- SCAN Student Research Grants Program
Academy Members may join SCAN through the Academy's website: Select SCAN DPG #33 on the registration form. SCAN dues are $35 for Academy members and $20 for Academy student members.
Those who are interested in SCAN but ineligible for Academy membership are welcome to become a Friend of SCAN. To become a Friend of SCAN, contact the SCAN Office (800/249-2875).
The membership year is June 1 through May 31. New members receive a welcome email highlighting all member benefits with information on accessing these resources.