Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition is the largest and most active dietetic practice groups of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. With almost 7,000 members, SCAN brings together nutrition professionals with expertise in sports and physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness and disordered eating and eating disorders.
SCAN addresses the relationship between nutrition and physical activity across the spectrum from high-performing athletes to well populations to people with CVD. SCAN also addresses disordered eating, eating disorders, and weight management across these populations.
SCAN promotes professional excellence by providing innovative professional development tools, networking opportunities, and by promoting SCAN members both within and outside the Academy.
Mission: To empower members to be the nation's food and nutrition leaders connecting nutrition and physical activity through excellence and expertise in nutrition for sports and physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness, and disordered eating and eating disorders.
Vision: Optimize the nation's health by providing exceptional nutrition care in sports performance and physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness and disordered eating and eating disorders.
- Sports Dietetics-USA
- Disordered Eating and Eating Disorders
The following are free to members, or available at a discount where indicated.
Learning and Professional Development Opportunities
- PULSE, a quarterly, peer-reviewed publication with CPE in every issue
The annual subscription cost for those not eligible for Academy membership is $50 for individuals and $100 for institutions - to subscribe, contact the SCAN Office (800/249-2875)
- SCAN Connection, a bimonthly member newsletter providing a cross-functional perspective on emerging trends and best practices in SCAN's practice areas
Both publications emailed directly to members, with archived issues available to members online
- The BEAT, our dedicated newsletter by and for students
- 20 percent discount on registration at SCAN events
- SCAN Annual Symposium Offers:
- Unparalleled networking
- Up to 20 CPE credits
- Expo with Member Display option
- Poster session
- Member reception
- Member awards banquet
- Fitness events
- Up to 3 new CPE-approved webinars every month
- Available for FREE during the first 30-days to members only, 20% discount after
- On-demand viewing 24/7/365
- Access to Natural Medicines Database for unbiased, scientific, clinical information on complementary, alternative, and integrative therapies ($160 value)
- Access fact sheets for client education, marketing needs, and guidance on practice issues
- "Ask the Doc" for information and advice on eating disorders and disordered eating
- Read up on current issues on SCAN's blog
- Network, develop professional skills and leadership ability, and contribute to your profession through volunteer opportunities (contact Volunteer Coordination Director Noaa Bujanover)
- Expand client base or enhance job search through Find a SCAN RD
- Promote your products and services via Member Marketplace
- Influence public policy and advocate for reimbursement
Member Value Initiatives
- Wellness Task Force - creating 5-year plan to support RDNs in wellness practice now and into the future
- Expanding the Arena Initiative: Optimizing Performance on Every Stage - encouraging SCAN members to rethink the role of the sports RDN and spread their reach into new arenas
- Student Council - ensuring SCAN initiatives meet member needs
- Electronic mailing lists for each Subunit (3 total EMLs)
- Network online with experts in eating disorders and disordered eating via "Ask the Doc" program
- Online discussion forums for each of SCAN's practice areas, as well as public policy and other hot topics
- Social media connections via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Pinterest, and Instagram
- SCAN events at FNCE and Annual Symposium
- Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) credential, available through CDR, developed with asssitance of SD-USA, a subunit of SCAN
Publications Offered Though the Academy
Sports Nutrition: A Practice Manual for Professionals 6th edition and companion CD. Edited by SCAN member Chris Karpinski with chapters authored by many SCAN members. Expected publication date 2017.
Sports Nutrition Care Manual. Internet-based practice manual written by SCAN members who are Board Certified as Specialists in Sports Dietetics. Order at www.nutritioncaremanual.org.
Academy Timely Statements and Positions Involvement
Thomas DT, Erdman KA, Burke LM, MacKillop M. Nutrition and Athletic Performance, "A joint position paper between the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada and the American College of Sports Medicine." JAND Volume 116, Issue 3, Pages 501-528 (March 2016)
Nutrition Intervention in the Treatment of Eating Disorders. Volume 111, Issue 8, Pages 1236-1241 (August 2011)
American College of Sports Medicine
SCAN member Laura Kruskall, PhD, RDN, CSSD, LD, FACMS, FAND is currently serving a three-year term as Academy representative to the American College of Sports Medicine, where she represents SCAN and the Academy's positions and practice guidelines.
President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition Science Board
The PCFSN Science Board includes scholars who are selected because of their significant contributions to the research and science of physical activity, health, sports or nutrition. SCAN member Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD now serves on the PCFSN Science Board.
National Physical Activity Plan
The National Physical Activity Plan is a comprehensive set of policies, programs, and initiatives that aim to increase physical activity in all segments of the American population. The Plan is the product of a private-public sector collaborative. Hundreds of organizations are working together to change our communities in ways that will enable every American to be sufficiently physically active. SCAN member Kim Beals, PhD, RD, CSSD, LDN serves as the Academy's representative to the NPAP Coordinating Committee.
American Heart Association
SCAN member Linda Van Horn is the Academy representative to the Nutrition Committee.
SCAN External Networks
- Academy for Eating Disorders
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Professionals in Nutrition for Exercise and Sport
- National Lipid Association
- American Association for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Awards and Grants
- SCAN Distinguished Scholar Award
- SCAN Distinguished Ambassador Award
- SCAN Achievement Award
- SCAN Excellence in Practice Award
- SCAN Student Award
- SCAN Student Research Grants Program
- SCAN Student Stipends to FNCE® and Symposium
Academy Members may join SCAN through the Academy's website: Select SCAN DPG #33 on the registration form. SCAN dues are $35 for Academy members and $20 for Academy student members.
Those who are interested in SCAN but ineligible for Academy membership are welcome to become a Friend of SCAN. To become a Friend of SCAN, contact the SCAN Office (800/249-2875).
The membership year is June 1 through May 31. New members receive a welcome email highlighting all member benefits with information on accessing these resources.