The Oncology Nutrition DPG promotes quality oncology nutrition practice in cancer treatment, prevention, survivorship and education. The DPG provides invaluable resources and networking opportunities including the Oncology Nutrition Symposium, which took place May 2-3, 2014 in Orlando, Fla. This event was such a success that we are already planning for our next oncology nutrition symposium, scheduled for April 28-30, 2016 in Glendale, Ariz. In addition, we are collaborating, part of a Benchmarking project, with the Institute of Medicine, on a workshop to address access to nutritional care in cancer centers. Other important resources we offer include a quarterly peer-reviewed newsletter, an upgraded Oncology Nutrition website, Academy/ON DPG publications, a very active electronic mailing list with over 800 members, free webinars to our members, and access to a PowerPoint slide library to download, use and modify for PowerPoint presentations.
ON DPG is a technical resource for its members and for allied organizations such as the American Cancer Society (ACS), the Oncology Nursing Society, and the National Cancer Institute. The Oncology Nutrition DPG has worked in conjunction with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) in establishing an oncology specific specialty certification, termed Board Certified Specialist in Oncology (CSO).
Our members have raised the status and visibility of oncology nutrition, and the CSO credential, through participation in the development of the following ACS publications: a comprehensive nutrition section for the Cancer Information Database, a nutrition module for the I Can Cope series, and a nutrition document for cancer survivors. Members are also working on updating the Oncology section of the Nutrition Care Manual.
- Chair: Tricia Cox, MS, RDN, LD, CNSC
- Chair-Elect: Kelay Trentham, MS, RDN, CSO, CD
- Secretary: Katie Badgett, MS, RDN, CSP, LDN
- Nominating Committee Chair: Heidi Scarsella, RDN, CSO, LDN
- HOD DPG Delegate: Nicole Fox, RDN, LMNT, CNSC
- Past Chair: Andreea Nguyen, MS, RDN, CSO, LD, CNSC
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
Oncology Nutrition Connection (ONC) (ISSN 1545-9896), the official newsletter of the Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group, is published quarterly. All issues of ONC are distributed in electronic format only. Articles published in ONC highlight specific diseases or areas of practice in oncology nutrition. Viewpoints and statements in each newsletter do not necessarily reflect the policies and/or positions of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or the Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group (ON DPG). Oncology RDNs are encouraged to review Evidence Analysis Library (EAL) positions of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, which provide a summary of the best available research on a variety of topics, via the Academy's website and at Oncology Nutrition DPG's website (2016, Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group, all rights reserved).
- Newsletter Editor: Suzanne Dixon, MPH, MS, RDN
- ON Connection Newsletter Associate Editors: Robin Brannon, MS, RDN, CSO; Jodie Greear, MS, RDN, CSO, LDN; Maureen Leser, MS, RDN, CSO, LD; Jocelyne O’Brien, MPH, RD, CSO, LD
Publications Offered Through the Academy
- Management of Nutrition Impact Symptoms in Cancer and Educational Handouts
- Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (video)—A triage and nutrition assessment tool.
- JAND article on EAL Oncology Update Project, in preparation (Project Chair: Laura Elliott, MPH, RDN, CSO, LD).
To order by credit card or to receive an Academy Catalog of Products and Services, contact Academy Customer Service, 800/877-1600, ext. 5000, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (Central).
Available on the Oncology Nutrition DPG website
- Website Publications
- Oncology Nutrition in Clinical Practice, published October 2013.
Project Chair: Maureen Leser, MS, RDN, CSO, LD), 3rd printing
- Area Rep Electronic Quarterly Newsletter, Dietitians in Action
- Oncology Nutrition Toolkit uses the information from the Academy's Oncology Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guideline and peer-reviewed best practices
ON DPG/Academy/Abbott Jointly Sponsored Webinars:
- Fad Diets
- Attendance: 451 people
- Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at noon (Eastern)/ 9 a.m. (Pacific)
- Presented by Jean LaMantia, RD
- Aging & Palliative Care in Oncology: An Overview in the Out-patient Setting
- Attendance: 160 people
- Tuesday December 9th 2014, noon (Eastern)/ 9 a.m. (Pacific)
- Presented by Bernadette Festa, MS, RDN, CSO, FAND
ON DPG Benchmarking Project:
Project Chair: Elaine Trujillo, MS, RDN
Nutrition Care Manual (review of the Oncology section):
Project Chair: Maureen Leser, MS, RDN, CSO, LD
Project Chairs: Rhone Levin, MEd, RDN, CSO and Suzanne Dixon, MPH, MS, RDN
E-blast announcements provided 30 updates, alerts and announcements to members via email.
Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- Connie San Andres-Robles Distinguished ON DPG Service Award (for ON members only)
- ON DPG Distinguished Practice Award (for ON members only)
- Educational grants (for ON members only)
- ON DPG Speakers Bureau Honorarium Scholarships (for ON members only)
- Excellence in Oncology Nutrition Research (open to all Academy members)
- Research Grant (for ON members only)
For more information, contact Erin Gurd, RD, LD/N
Networking, Business Meetings, Continuing Professional Education Events, Receptions
FNCE 2015 ON DPG Spotlight Session
“Marijuana: Is it Medicine Yet for Cancer Symptom Management?”
Featuring Dr. Donald Abrams and Kelay Trentham, MS, RDN, CSO, CD
Sunday, October 4, 2015, 1:30-3:00 p.m. at the Omni Hotel
FNCE 2015 ON DPG Breakfast Reception
Speaker(s) to be determined
Sunday, October 4, 2014, 7-8:30 a.m. at the Omni Hotel, Music Row 5
Continuing Education: Receive continuing professional education credits for reading the peer-reviewed ONC newsletter and completing associated questions.
The Academy Alliances/DPG Networks
American Institute for Cancer Research (Karen Collins, MS, RDN)
National Institute for Health (Rachael Lopez, MPH, RDN)
American Cancer Society: Guidebook for Hope Lodge Project (ongoing, Project Lead: Robin Brannon, MS, RDN, CSO)
Cancer Nutrition Consortium: Telemedicine project (ongoing)
Oncology Nursing education regarding nutrition: via webinars developed with Abbott Nutrition and Academy Medical
Working to Establish a Relationship:
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
Oncology Nursing Society (ONS)
For additional information, contact Rhone Levin, Med, RD, SCO, LDN.
You can follow us on Facebook at Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group where we have 3,285 likes. We post the latest on oncology nutrition research, updates on what our members are doing to educate the community, as well as fun recipes to try. Our Twitter account is new so become a follower @ondgp today!
- Academy Members may join ON DPG through the Academy website: Select ON DPG #20 on the registration form. The member dues are $30. A special Student Membership rate of $5 is available.
- If you are not an Academy member, but are qualified to be one, you must first join the Academy before joining ON DPG.