The Oncology Nutrition DPG (ON DPG) promotes quality oncology nutrition practice in cancer treatment, prevention and survivorship. ON DPG is celebrating its 25th anniversary throughout 2017-2018, highlighting the many accomplishments of the DPG. These include establishing Board Certification as a Specialist in Oncology Nutrition, publication of countless premier oncology nutrition resources, developing Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists in Oncology Nutrition Care and collaboration with the National Academy of Science and Medicine (formerly the Institute of Medicine) on the Workshop "Examining Access to Nutrition Care in Outpatient Cancer Centers".
Mission: Empowering ON DPG members as oncology nutrition leaders and experts through advocacy, education and research.
Vision: Optimizing the health of persons with cancer and cancer survivors and contributing to cancer prevention efforts through food and nutrition.
Philosophy: To be a resource for oncology nutrition experts across the continuum of care.
- Chair: Heather Bell-Temin, MS RD, CSO, LDN
- Chair-Elect: Alice Bender, MS, RDN
- Secretary: Jyoti Benjamin, MS, RD, CSO, CD, FAND
- Nominating Committee Chair: Katie Badgett, MS, RDN, CSP, LDN
- Past Chair: Kelay Trentham, MS, RDN, CSO, CD
Member Benefit Highlights
- The ON DPG's website will help you find current DPG events, professional resources, and more. The most popular section - "Eat Right to Fight Cancer" - includes answers to some of the most common questions asked by cancer patients.
- Electronic Mailing List is a great way to interact with over 800 colleagues. Members say it's one of the most valuable benefits of ON DPG.
- Receive $50 off registration to the 2018 Oncology Nutrition DPG Symposium in Minneapolis, Minnesota on April 13-15, 2018.
- Save $10 on a purchase of Oncology Nutrition for Clinical Practice (2013) - a premier resource for the oncology dietitian and a reference for the CSO exam.
- Access to The Complete Resource Kit for Oncology Nutrition and ready to print patient education materials in the "Eat Right to Fight Cancer" section of the website.
- Four free webinars each year. Recent ones include: "Most Common Supplements Used by Oncology Patients: If, When and Why" and "The Ketogenic Diet for Pediatric Brain Tumors and Other Cancers." CEUs also available through archived webinars.
- Awards and Grants: Given for outstanding work and to help fund continuing education.
- Networking opportunities, such as a free member reception at FNCE® on October 22, 2017; our FNCE® Spotlight Session; and our 2018 Oncology Nutrition DPG Symposium.
- Pediatric Subunit for sharing resources with other pediatric oncology dietitians.
Members Only Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- Connie San Andres-Robles Distinguished ON DPG Service Award
- ON DPG Distinguished Practice Award
- Educational grants
- ON DPG Speakers Bureau Honoraria
- Research Grant
Networking, Continuing Professional Education Live Events
- FNCE® ON DPG Spotlight Session: The Evidence: Intermittent Fasting Effects on Cardiometabolic Disease and Cancer by Dorothy Sears, PhD, and Mahshid Shelehchi, MS, RD
- FNCE® Annual ON DPG Member Reception
- FNCE® Annual DPG/MIG Showcase
- Oncology Nutrition DPG Symposium in Minneapolis, Minnesota on April 13-15, 2018
The ON DPG posts the latest on oncology nutrition research, updates on what members are doing to educate the community and recipes on Facebook.
- Academy Members may join ON DPG through the Academy website: Select ON DPG #20 on the registration form. The member dues are $30. A special Student Membership rate of just $5 is available.
- If you are not an Academy member, but are qualified to be one, you must first join the Academy before joining ON DPG.