Nutrition Education for the Public is a dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NEP provides services to over 900 members who have committed themselves to helping individuals understand and utilize vital nutrition information. To that end, NEP has established an overarching goal to enhance the communication and teaching skills of its members.
Mission: Empowering NEP members to be leaders in educating and communicating evidence-based nutrition information to the public.
Vision: Optimizing health by educating the public about food and lifestyle choices.
NEP is for you if you promote nutrition through public education and interact with other nutrition professionals working in the areas of:
- Business and Management
- Food Industry
- Clinical Dietetics
- Health Promotion
- Nutrition Consulting and Private Practice
- Public Health and Community Nutrition
- Communications and Public Relations
- Chair: Sharon Lutheran, RDN, MSH, LD, CLC
- Chair-Elect: Pauline Williams, PhD, MPA, RDN, CD
- Past Chair: Ingrid Adams, PhD, RD
- Secretary: Karen Bakies, RD, LD
- Treasurer: Gail Frank, DrPH, MPH, RD, CHES
- Nominating Committee Chair: Bridgit Corbett, EDD, RD, LD
- HOD Delegate: Barbara Ann Hughes, PhD, RD, LDN, FADA
- Policy and Advocacy Leader: Alexa McDonald, MFN, RD, CDN
- Newsletter Editors: Maureen Ternus, MS, RD and Carol Berg Sloan, RD
- Awards Chair: Lisa Shkoda, RDN
- Website Coordinator: Leia Kedem, MS, RD, LDN
- Symposium Chair: Sharon Lutheran, MSH, LD, CLC
- Quarterly newsletter offers a comprehensive look at a population group or health condition from the perspective of appropriate education and counseling strategies. Reproducible nutrition education inserts are frequently included in the newsletter. "Our members have diverse interests, so we have developed a newsletter that addresses a wide range of topical issues," says previous past Chair Fran Alloway, MA, RD, LDN. The newsletter also keeps members up to date on meeting announcements and new book reviews.
- Professional development offerings build members' knowledge and skills through webinars and sponsored sessions at FNCE®.
- Networking is facilitated through a variety of events at each year’s annual FNCE®. Additionally, an electronic mail list supports informal and spontaneous dialogue on a wide range of topics, and eBlasts to members alert them to upcoming events and news.
- An NEP website provides timely information in an easily accessed channel, and informs member sharing and discussions. Through this website you can explore collections of educational resources to use in professional practice and for professional development; access the Celebrate Food! column with RD-developed recipes, and learn about public policy from the NEP viewpoint.
Awards, Grants, Scholarships, and Stipends
- NEP Award of Excellence (for NEP members only)
- Outstanding NEP Member Award (for NEP members only)
- Student scholarships to assist with partial expenses of attending FNCE®
- Academy Members may join NEP online: select NEP DPG #52 on the registration form.
Member dues are $30. A special student rate of $15 is also available.
- If you are not an Academy member but are qualified to be one, you must first join the Academy before joining NEP.