Nutrition Education for the Public is a dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NEP members help individuals, groups, and communities understand, navigate, and utilize vital nutrition information. The NEP provides resources and networking for members to enhance their nutrition communication and teaching skills. The NEP DPG is for you if you promote nutrition through public education and interact with other professionals working the areas of:
- Business and Management
- Food Industry
- Clinical Dietetics
- Health Promotion
- Nutrition Consulting and Private Practice
- Public Health and Community Nutrition
- Communications and Public Relations
Mission: Empowering NEP members to be leaders in educating and communicating evidence-based nutrition information to the public.
Vision: Optimizing health by educating the public about food and lifestyle choices.
NEP offers a variety of benefits to help members in educating the public on nutrition. Benefits include:
- Website where you can explore collections of Educational Resources, access the newsletter, view archived webinars, try out new recipes in the monthly Celebrate Food column, and get to know other members in the Member Spotlight.
- FREE Webinars with CPEUs (live and recorded for viewing at your convenience)
- Four quarterly Networking News digital newsletters including a CPEU article
- Monthly recipes (from members) in the Celebrate Food section of the website
- Opportunities to network with informal and spontaneous dialogue on a wide range of topics on our social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, ListServ).
- Member awards and our Monthly Member Spotlight
Our Quarterly digital newsletter, Networking News, offers a comprehensive look at nutrition topics from the perspective of appropriate education and counseling strategies. As members have diverse interests, our newsletters address a wide range of topics. CEU articles are available and some issues contain reproducible nutrition education inserts. The newsletter also keeps members up to date on meeting announcements and new book reviews.
NEP offers webinars on a variety of topics quarterly. Webinars will enhance your professional practice and provide ideas for working with clients, customers, patients, groups, and organizations. Each webinar is worth 1 CEU. You can watch live or view archived webinars on the website at your convenience.
Awards, Grants, Scholarships, and Stipends
- NEP Award of Excellence (for NEP members only)
- Outstanding NEP Member Award (for NEP members only)
- Student scholarships to assist with partial expenses of attending FNCE®
- Academy Members may join NEP online: select NEP DPG #52 on the registration form.
Member dues are $30. A special student rate of $15 is also available.
- If you are not an Academy member but are qualified to be one, you must first join the Academy before joining NEP.