Healthy Aging DPG members are employed in community nutrition programs, government agencies, wellness programs, assisted living settings, universities, hospitals and health care facilities, long term care and in private practice. The Spectrum, Healthy Aging's newsletter, is an outstanding resource. Professional development activities, including professional education opportunities with CPE, are available through webinars, articles in the Spectrum, pre-approved self study modules and FNCE® spotlight sessions on topics of current interest to the membership. Healthy Aging has a robust “tool kit” to assist members as they apply for, study for and complete the exam to become Board Certified as a Specialist in Gerontological Nutrition (CSG). During 2016-17, Healthy Aging DPG will be releasing additional resources for those preparing for the CSG exam, including flash cards and educational videos.
Mission: Empowering and supporting members to be food and nutrition leaders promoting life-long wellness.
Vision: Optimizing longevity and wellness in aging through food and nutrition.
- Chair: Judy Simon, MS, RD, LD
- Chair-Elect: Claire Schmelzer, PhD, MPH, RDN, LD
- Past Chair: Maureen Janowski, RDN, CSG, LDN, FAND
- Secretary: Melanie Betz, MS, RD, LDN, CSG
- Treasurer: Stephanie Goodwin, PhD, MPH, RD
- Quarterly newsletter with pertinent practice-based topics and at least one continuing professional education self-study article per issue
- Regularly scheduled educational webinars (all with a self-study option)
- Robust website with resources and information to strengthen members' practice
- Monthly e-newsletter on upcoming DPG activities
- The CSG tool box, resources and help desk. These resources are available to members to assist in planning for and successfully obtaining the CSG credential
- An online discussion board on member selected topics of interest.
- Updates from network member associations regarding issues on nutrition aging, policy and advocacy, including the Older Americans Act, and National Nutrition Resource Center.
- Networking and/or educational event at Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®)
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
Our quarterly newsletter issues are available electronically (all past issues are archived) in the member section of the Healthy Aging website.
The Spectrum is the quarterly publication containing at least one CPE article. For information, please contact Healthy Aging DPG's administrative office at [email protected].
Academy Positions Involvement
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Nutrition, Hydration and Feeding
- Food and Nutrition Programs for Community - Residing Older Adults
Shared position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the American Society for Nutrition and the Society for Nutrition Education
- Individualized Nutrition Approaches for Older Adults in Health Care Communities
- Nutrition Across the Spectrum of Aging
Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
- National Nutrition Month activity recognition
- Distinguished Service Award (for HA members only) — for exemplary service and leadership
- See complete details on the Healthy Aging website.
- Also look for information on the supported Academy Foundation award
Networking, Business Meetings, Continuing Professional Education Events, Receptions
The Healthy Aging DPG has an annual event that is held in conjunction with the annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE®). Healthy Aging has a formalized networking relationship with three groups: the Meals on Wheels Association of America (MOWAA), the Society for Nutritional Education (SNE) and the National Association of Nutrition and Aging Services Programs (NANASP). Join our Facebook page, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter!
Healthy Aging supports members by providing information on food, nutrition and wellness programs and services for older adults through the newsletter The Spectrum, webinars, pre-approved self-study modules, FNCE® programs and member awards and research opportunities.
Healthy Aging DPG was represented on the Academy's Task Force on Aging. Its members are providing technical expertise in support of the Academy recommendations for the Reauthorization of the Older Americans Act. Healthy Aging representatives regularly participate in the Public Policy Workshop. Articles on legislative initiatives routinely appear in the newsletter, The Spectrum.