The Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (DIFM), a practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, consists of over 4,300 Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs), Dietetic Technicians, Registered (DTRs), and dietetic students and interns who practice in, or have specific interest in, an integrated and personalized approach to nutrition, health, and healing. The DIFM philosophy centers around a holistic, "Food as Medicine" approach to wellness, and is based firmly in the Integrative Medicine model. Whole-food therapies, targeted supplements, and mind-body modalities form the basis of "Integrative and Functional Medical Nutrition Therapy" (IFMNT). Integrative Nutrition RDNs apply this model to the nutrition care process in clinical practice and are also instrumental in reshaping healthcare.
Mission: Empower the members to be leaders in evidence-based practice including healing with whole foods, holistic healthcare, and personalized genomics through education, collaboration, and community building.
Vision: Optimize health and healing through integrative nutritional medicine practices.
- Be recognized leaders in integrative and functional nutrition
- Increase DIFM membership, and retain members by providing significant value
- Cultivate relationships with collaborators
- Educate in integrative and functional nutrition
- Conduct a program of work in a professional manner within the strategic framework of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Establish networks with organizations whose goals are compatible with those of DIFM in order to further our mission
- Develop and implement technology and communication plans to help achieve the goals of DIFM
- Invest proceeds of projects to further the development of DIFM, its members, and the profession
Why Join Our Practice Group?
Because the 21st century nutrition practice demands forward thinking professionals who possess a wide range of skills in systems biology, nutritional genomics, sustainable food systems, and dietary supplements and seeks practitioners who utilize a broad range of holistic modalities to provide personalized nutrition care. Integrative and functional medicine nutrition and dietetics practitioners recognize that each person has their own genetic, biochemical, environmental, and lifestyle influences that uniquely impact health and healing. To survive and thrive in this evolving health care environment, DIFM will support you in acquiring knowledge and skills in integrative and functional medicine through education, advocacy and networking.
- Free annual subscription to Natural Standard and Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, a trusted source for evidence-based research on dietary supplements.
- Quality Integrative Nutrition RD newsletter, the Integrative RDN, is published quarterly. A bonus summer supplement highlights the FNCE activities. Two free CPE articles each year, and full access to archived issues.
- Webinars and discounts on continuing education opportunities and materials.
- Free digital subscriptions to three professional Integrative Health Journals (value $193).
- Emerging research on Nutritional Genomics available via our website and newsletter
- Intellectual debate and progressive information available through the DIFM members-only Yahoo Groups electronic mailing list (EML).
- Networking Relationships with state of the art professional organizations offering excellent discounts on network programs and services. Our networks include:
- Connection with other DIFM members through our "Member Search" database
- Opportunity to market your practice to consumers, clinicians, and health care organizations seeking personalized care from integrative and functional nutrition practitioners though our website's "Find an IntegrativeRDN" database
- Active student forum and student participation in all DIFM events and activities.
- Social media groups including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Invitation to apply for educational stipends.
- Invitation to apply for two awards: DIFM Excellence in Service Award and DIFM Excellence in Practice Awards. Awardees each receive $500.
- DIFM IFMNT Toolkit
- DIFM Coaching/Mentoring Program
- DIFM Expert Database & Speakers Bureau
DIFM Newsletter: The Integrative RD
The Integrative RD, DIFM's newsletter, is designed to improve and build upon your understanding of integrative and functional nutrition therapies and includes:
- Content-rich articles
- Timely information on cutting-edge topics
- Clinical practice pearls
- Translation of research into practice
- Frequently asked questions about integrative and functional medicine therapies
DIFM Member Events
- Business meetings, continuing education events, and other activities
- Webinars offered throughout the year on a variety of hot topics in integrative and functional medicine
- Annual Member event at FNCE®
Academy Voice and Advocacy
- DIFM Representation in the Academy House of Delegates
- Authoring and/or reviewing JAND position articles
- Participation in the Academy's Council on Future Practice
- Natural Medicines Database subscription
- IFMNT Toolkit
- Free subscription to 3 Integrative Health Journals
- Chair: Kelly Morrow, MS, RD
- Past Chair: Monique Richard, MS, BS, RDN, LDN
- Chair-Elect: Mary Purdy, MS
- Treasurer: Dana Elia, MS, RDN, LDN
- Secretary: Jessica G Redmond, MS, RD, CSCS
For more information, contact us by email.