Nutrition and dietetic technicians, registered; dietetic technician educators; and others who are interested in nutrition and dietetic technician, registered, practice and issues that directly affect the nutrition and dietetic technician, registered.
Members of the Dietetic Technicians in Practice Dietetic Practice Group are advocates for dietetic practice and play key roles in providing cost-effective, quality client care vital to the promotion of optimal public health. DTP strives to educate our colleagues, employers and the general public about the scope of practice, skills and competencies of NDTRs. We function as team members with RDNs to provide optimal nutrition care. Opportunities to gain knowledge for application to practice, networking and leadership development positions are provided through membership in the practice group.
Mission: Empowering dietetic technicians, registered to be the best food and nutrition leaders.
Vision: Optimizing the nation's health through food and nutrition.
- Co-Chair: Christine Gosch, DTR
- Co-Chair: Corinne Worland, BS, NDTR
- Secretary: Suzanne Flynn, DTR
- Treasurer: Darrin Schmidt, DTR
- Nominating Committee Chair: Corliss Cowan
- Newsletter Editor: Audrey Morgan, DTR-L
- HOD Delegate: Audrey Morgan, DTR-L
- Opportunities for leadership development via elected and appointed positions.
- DTP website which is updated monthly to include any issues that directly impact the NDTR and/or the profession of dietetics.
- E-blast communications with Academy updates, DTP news and more.
- DTP newsletter published quarterly, plus a FNCE® special edition.
- Opportunity to network at FNCE®.
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
Dietetic Technicians in Practice, the quarterly newsletter, features:
- Legislative and House of Delegates Updates.
- Updates on clinical protocols, issues and new legislation that affects NDTRs.
- Member Spotlights.
- Officer reports, including message from the Chair.
- Professional development opportunities.
For subscription information for those parties who are ineligible for Academy membership, subscriptions are available for $5 per single issue and $20 a year. Contact Corliss Cowans, NDTR for more information.
Enhancement and Promotion of the Academy's Strategic Initiatives and Campaigns
DTP promotes the Academy's strategic initiatives by participating in the Academy's annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo, providing priority education sessions, and promoting the profession of dietetics in general.
- Nutrition and Dietetic Technicians, Registered serve in the Academy House of Delegates.
- Nutrition and Dietetic Technicians, Registered serve on various committees at the national level, including Council on Professional Issues, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics and the Commission for Dietetic Registration.
- Nutrition and Dietetic Technicians, Registered promote medical nutrition therapy legislation and government funding of nutrition bills and programs through grassroots activism.
- DTP promotes the use of credentialed practitioners and recognition of the DTR credential.
- DTP promotes the use of the Nutrition Care Process Model, Standards of Professional Practice, Scope of Practice for Dietetic Professionals and Code of Ethics documents as education tools for employers and the public.
- Nutrition and Dietetic Technicians, Registered are advocates for patients/clients in prevention and management of health conditions via medical nutrition therapy.
- Nutrition and Dietetic Technicians, Registered promote the value of collaboration with other health care professionals to enhance quality of nutrition care and safe and reliable food service.
For more information on DTP, email us at [email protected].
The Academy's Board of Directors and Commission on Dietetic Registration have determined that those who hold the credential dietetic technician, registered may optionally use "nutrition and dietetic technician, registered" instead. The two credentials have identical meanings. On this website, the Dietetic Practice Group has chosen to use the term NDTR to refer to both dietetic technician, registered and nutrition and dietetic technician, registered.