The Diabetes Care and Education DPG promotes quality diabetes care and education for people with diabetes and their families and for those at risk for developing diabetes. As leaders in the healthcare community, DCE members make positive contributions for people with diabetes and their families, the DCE membership, healthcare providers, other professional organizations and industry partners.
DCE provides an environment for professional growth to members, promotes clinical and educational research, takes a proactive position on nutrition and diabetes legislative and public policy issues and responds to the needs of collaborative diabetes organizations and industry. Members practice in a variety of settings including clinical settings, education, private practice, public health, managed care organizations, industry and research. They also are active at the local, regional and national levels in diabetes organizations. DCE developed Nutrition Practice Guidelines for type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes and continues to develop nutrition/diabetes publications for professionals and people with diabetes. DCE is a past recipient of the prestigious Charles Best Award from the American Diabetes Association.
Mission: Empowering DCE members to be leaders in food, nutrition, and diabetes care and prevention.
Vision: Optimizing the health of people impacted by diabetes using food, nutrition, and self-management education.
- Chair: Liz Quintana, EdD, RD, LD, CDE
- Chair-elect: Alyce Thomas, RD
- Past Chair/Industry Relations: Susan Yake, RDN, CDE, CLT, CD
- Secretary: Susan Rizzo, RD, LDN, CDE
- Treasurer: Paula Kellogg Leibovitz, MS, RDN, CDE, CDN
- Treasurer-elect: Mary Angela Niester, MPH, RD
- Professional Development Chair: Laura Russell, MA, CDE, RD
- Public Policy Liaison: Carol Brunzell, RDN, LD, CDE
- Dietetic Practice Group Delegate (DPGD) of the House of Delegates: Linda Rocafort, MPH, RDN, LDN, CDE
- Membership Committee: Patricia Davidson, DCN, RDN, CDE, LDC, FAND
- Nominating Committee Chair: Lisa Herzig, PhD, RDN, CDE
- Electronic Communications Coordinator: Theresa Moutafis, RD, CLC, CDE
- Print Communications Coordinator: Kathy Warwick, RD, LD, CDE
- 3 issues/year of On the Cutting Edge (OTCE), a journal-quality review of current topics in diabetes management and education with complimentary CPE hours for DCE members
- 3 issues/year of NewsFlash, a newsletter providing timely information on diabetes care and education, and updates on DCE activities
- 5-6 free webinars available live and stored on our website for one year to listen to the recorded version at your convenience, both offering CPE credits
- Access to colleagues across the globe via DCE's electronic mailing list
- Access to the Diabetes Resource Center including over 20,000 patient education resources
- Eligibility to apply for DCE's annual awards, educational stipends and speaker stipends
- Opportunities to develop professional skills and networking relationships
- Complimentary copies of Diabetes Self Management and Diabetic Living
- Access to information on education events, legislative updates, patient education materials, award applications, recipes and much more on DCE's website
- DCE Facebook page
- DCE Pinterest page
- Eligibility to apply for DCE awards and educational stipends:
- Distinguished Service Award
- Creative Diabetes Nutrition Education Award
- Educational Stipends
- Diabetes Educator of the Year Award
- Legislative Stipend
- Legislative Activity Award
- Speaker Stipend Award
- Honorary Member Award
- Publications Award
- Medical Nutrition Therapy Outcomes Research Award ($20,000 offered every other year)
For more information on Awards contact Vita Tambone, RDN, CDE, CDN
- Free subscriptions to Diabetic magazines (per industry availability to U.S. residents).
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
- On the Cutting Edge is a peer-reviewed newsletter published three times annually, which provides self-assessment questionnaires and continuing education credits.
- Newsflash, is produced three times annually, and includes featured columns, clinical updates, reviews on books, current research, educational tools and web sites.
Individuals who are ineligible for Academy membership can subscribe to the newsletters for $30 (domestic) and $35 (international), payable to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/DCE. Contact:
DCE Administrative Manager
Linda Flanagan Vahl
312/899-4725; fax: 312/899-5354
To purchase the most current diabetes-related products, visit eatrightSTORE. To receive an Academy Catalog of Products and Services contact Academy Customer Service, 800/877-1600, ext. 5000, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Central).
Networking, Business Meetings, Continuing Professional Education Events, Receptions
DCE sponsors educational sessions, skill building workshops and a reception at the Academy's Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ and provides presentations at national and international meetings (as invited/funded).
- Legislative Activity: DCE continues advocacy work with the Academy and other national professional groups to improve reimbursement for diabetes self-management education and medical nutrition therapy.
- Mentor Network: This network links experienced diabetes nutrition professionals with DCE members who are seeking guidance in specific areas of practice. It also links members who wish to become involved in DCE activities with volunteer opportunities that may be of interest to them.