Interested in nominating a colleague (or yourself) for an Academy leadership position? Learn about the criteria for each position. Some qualifications and skill sets are consistent regardless of position, while other criteria vary with the position.
Universal Qualifications and Skills
The following skill sets apply to all leadership positions on the national ballot.
- Demonstrates diplomacy in bringing opposing views to agreement
- Demonstrates organizational and management skills
- Embraces and manages change to advance the Academy
- Empowers others
- Prioritizes issues consistent with the Academy's strategic plan
- Is results-oriented
- Understands general principles of not-for profit fiscal management
- Fosters an atmosphere of creativity, collaboration, and inclusivity
- Maintains objectivity
- Is organized
- Positively promotes the Academy and the profession
- Thinks strategically
- Dedicated and committed to the Academy's mission and vision
- Demonstrates integrity
- Exhibits strong networking and relationship building skills
- Operates as a team player
- Demonstrates strong and effective communication skills
- Respects diversity and promotes inclusiveness
- Motivates others
It is suggested that nominees obtain employer support for involvement and time commitment.
Qualifications necessary for all Academy leadership positions are reviewed and updated regularly with input from past officers. These detailed descriptions include the terms, qualifications, requirements, recommended skill sets and duties for each leadership position. Please note, positions available on ballot vary each year.
- Board of Directors Director-at-Large
- House of Delegates Speaker-Elect/Speaker
- House of Delegates Directors
- House of Delegates at-Large Delegates
- Nominating Committee
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) Practitioner Representatives
- Commission on Dietetic Registration Representative