These materials can be printed and used individually, with your staff and with your clients. We encourage you to review these materials ahead of time so that you are aware of what needs to be done when the time comes.
Academy Emergency Preparedness and Response Tip Sheets
- Becoming a Member of the Preparedness Team
- Volunteering — Where Do I Fit In?
- How Do I Become the Emergency Preparedness/Response Team's Nutrition Expert?
- What Role Does Food Defense Play in Food Safety?
- Creating an Emergency Preparedness Kit
- Who Is in Charge of Providing Food During Emergencies?
Academy Emergency Preparedness Fact Sheets
- Special Needs and Vulnerable Population Groups – Homeless Populations, Planning Considerations for the Extremely Obese and At-Risk Individuals
- Infant Feeding During Disasters
- Food Safety: Power Outages, Flooding and Fires
- Best Foods to Stockpile for an Emergency
Continuing Professional Development
Glossary and Acronyms
It is important to know what the key terms and acronyms mean for emergency situations in order to function efficiently as a member of the team during a disaster.
The Flow of Response During a Disaster
These diagrams provide a visualization of how federal, state and local governments and agencies/organizations respond in the event of a disaster.
- Preparedness Planning and Emergency Response
- Federal and State Response to an Emergency
- Preparedness/Emergency Response Planning Tool for Dietetics Practitioners
Knowledge, Competencies, Skills and Roles of RDNs and NDTRs in Emergency Preparedness
To help members understand possible roles in an emergency response, charts have been developed to guide members on what they "need to know" and what they may "need to do" in the event of a disaster in three primary focus areas: Clinical Nutrition; Public Health/Community Nutrition; and Food Management. Use this chart to plan educational sessions for members, staff and students.
Key Resources for Emergency Preparedness and Response
A list of key resources with links has been developed to identify key government agencies and organizations involved in emergency preparedness and response. Additionally, links are provided for professional education resources, some of which also offer CPE opportunities.
Member Wallet Card
This wallet sized card is designed to be carried by you and your family members, and can also be distributed to staff and clients.
Reviewed October 2014