Research shows that nutrition intervention of a patient with, or at risk for, malnutrition can decrease length of hospital stay, falls, pressure ulcers, infections, complications, re-admissions, and overall health care costs. Registered dietitian nutritionists can perform a nutrition focused physical exam to more accurately provide individuals with a nutrition diagnosis of malnutrition. While the NFPE is only one component of the nutrition assessment, it can provide necessary supportive data to identify and nutrition diagnose the patient with, or at risk for, malnutrition.
The workshop provides the RDN with the skills to perform an NFPE, empowering the RDN to accurately identify and provide a nutrition diagnosis of malnutrition for patients. Workshops are available across the country with the focus on the adult or pediatric population.
Adult NFPE Training Workshop (Closed) – July 30, 2017
Workshop site: Winthrop University Hospital
Location: Mineola, N.Y.
This workshop is closed to facility dietitians.
Adult NFPE Training Workshop – August 9, 2017
Workshop site: Mission Hospital
Location: Mission Viejo, Calif.
Adult NFPE Training Workshop – September 18, 2017
Workshop site: Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County
Location: Rock Springs, Wyo.
For more information about any of the above NFPE Hands-On Training Workshops please contact email@example.com or 312-899-4707.
Early Bird Pricing
Academy Members: $400
Academy Members: $450
Included in Fee
- Full day hands-on training
- Pre-workshop materials (provided via email prior to training)
- Trainer demonstrations
- NFPE Training Guidelines
- NFPE Pocket Guide
- Medical Penlight
- NFPE Patient/RDN Script
- NFPE Skills Assessment
- Post-workshop support
- Complimentary breakfast and lunch
- NFPA: Making Clinical Connections book by Mary Litchford, PhD, RD, LDN
Cancellations must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org for the event you will be withdrawing from. A $50 cancellation fee will be applied on or before the deadline indicated at the time of registration.
*No refunds will be issued after the deadline to cancel.
- Discussions on malnutrition characteristics and documentation
- An interactive, hands-on experience to obtain NFPE skills:
- Assessment for muscle wasting and fat loss
- Assessment for micronutrient deficiencies/toxicities
- Assessment for fluid accumulation/edema
- Assessment for functional status/hand grip strength
- For Pediatrics – Assessment for mid-upper arm circumference
- In-depth discussions on Coding for Malnutrition
- Case Study to review NFPE/Malnutrition components
- Putting it all together from head to toe
- Demonstrate basic NFPE skills with real patients during patient rounds
- Ratio of 1:6 trainer to RDN participants for individual instruction
- 10 hours of continuing professional education for RDN workshop participant
- Ongoing support from Academy staff and Workshop trainer(s) in the form of monthly calls and electronic communication forum
- Peer Champion resources for implementation with RDNs at home facility
- Facility RDNs eligible for 8 hours of continuing professional education
NFPE Workshop Scholarships are available from the Academy's Center for Lifelong Learning for the NFPE Hands-on Training Workshop for registered dietitian nutritionists who are Academy members. To be eligible for an NFPE Workshop Scholarship, one must be a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of the full or partial registration fee; applicants can specify need in the application. One to two scholarships may be awarded per workshop. Applications must be submitted no later than five weeks prior to the workshop date the applicant plans to attend. Applicants will be notified of the result of their application three to four weeks prior to the workshop date.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
- Informational Brochure
- Workshop Trainer Information and Application
- Pediatric NFPE Agenda Sample
- Adult NFPE Agenda Sample