The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics welcomes corporate relationships that help the Academy fulfill its mission and vision in the following ways:
- Delivering Academy-approved nutrition messages to a wider consumer audience than the Academy could reach using its own resources.
- Providing Academy-approved educational tools and materials to Academy members that are useful in their professional work with the public.
- Creating consumer nutrition education messages and communications programs to make them consistent with sound science and Academy positions and philosophies.
In its relations with corporate organizations, the Academy is mindful of the need to avoid a perception of conflict of interest and to act at all times in ways that will only enhance the credibility and professional recognition of the Academy and its members. The continuing value of the Academy's name depends on its reputation for integrity, which has been earned by generations of Academy members over the course of many decades. The Academy will authorize no commercial use of the name and logo that would diminish that value or damage that reputation.
The Academy's procedures and formal agreements with external organizations are designed to prevent any undue corporate influence particularly where there is a possibility that corporate self-interest might tend to conflict with sound science or Academy positions, policies and philosophies.
The Academy requires that the sponsor be clearly identified on all such materials bearing the Academy name.
General Requirements for Acceptance of Corporate Relations Sponsors
- Fit with Academy strategic goals.
- Scientific accuracy.
- Conformance with Academy positions, policies and philosophies.
- Academy editorial control of all content in materials bearing the Academy name.
- Clear separation of Academy messages and content from brand information or promotion.
- No endorsement of any particular brand or company product.
- The inclusion of relevant facts and important information where their omission would present an unbalanced view of a controversial issue in which the sponsor has a stake.
- Full funding by the sponsor of all direct and indirect costs associated with the project.
As a rule, the Academy does not permit the free use of Academy content in publications or websites where the effect of the Academy content and name is to help the publication or website increase circulation or sell advertising or subscriptions.
The Academy strives to communicate healthful eating messages to the public that emphasize the total diet, or overall pattern of food eaten, rather than any one food or meal. If consumed in moderation with appropriate portion size and combined with regular physical activity, all foods can fit into a healthful diet.